Re: New here - two kitties with HCM

  • Tracy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      Oscar went back to the vet yesterday, though not an overly positive
      appointment. We're just all stymied by him. On the upside he did
      gain 1/2 a lb since the 17th so he's back over 11 lbs. He clearly
      needs to remain on Lasix but dosing is a senstitive thing. He is
      dehydrated but with the fluid on his lungs subQ's are very scary.
      The vet has recommended that we remove him from all meds, except
      Lasix as needed - I've moved him to an every other day dosing, so he
      didn't get a dose last night. For food I need to add more liquid to
      it to help him rehydrate. Vet gave me some anti-nausia drug that
      costs the earth, he had 1/2 a tablet but I'm not sure that it made
      him eat. She also prescribed the appetitie stimulant cypro....
      which I haven't given to him yet since he ate last night, not a huge
      amount but enough. He was up and about this morning and had his
      head down in the food bowl when I left for work - he's now addicted
      to Fancy Feast - and he was drinking. He's a tough little guy but
      his body can only take so much. They did a recheck of his kidney
      values and found his BUN up and his Creatinine down from the 17th -
      elevated BUN explains why he's feeling poorly. Vet said he must
      have been quite fragile before he developed the fluid on his lungs
      at the beginning of February when he was boarded for 4 days with my
      other two. He's usually just fine being boarded, we've never had
      any issues before at all so he must really have been going downhill
      for a while before and just hiding it, the way cats do. I'm hoping
      he'll turn around but his heart is in really bad shape, he should be
      on the heart meds but if they are causing him to feel horrid and not
      eat then sure they are helping his heart but hurting him otherwise.

      So now we are in a wait and see situation, we'll just carry on from
      here and see how much longer he will be with us.

      Heart disease and CRF - not a fun thing to deal with.

      Tracy
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        Tracy,

        When my cat was recently hospitalized with CHF and renal failure she was
        taken off all meds except for lasix - and reglan was added to help with
        nausea - she kept licking her lips and licking her lips and sort of making
        gagging motions.

        I have slowly been adding back some of her other meds - and none of those
        really seem to have hurt her appetite. I think the appetite loss was due to her
        high renal numbers and dehydration.

        I have been trying to encourage my cat to drink as much as she wants to
        try to avoid having to give her subQs. I also don't have a "set" lasix schedule
        anymore. I adjust the dose daily based on her respirations and how dehydrated
        she seems.

        I hope you get things settled with Oscar soon and that your other kitty stays
        stable for a long long time.

        Best,
        Nala

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <tracyontario@...> wrote:

        > Oscar went back to the vet yesterday, though not an overly positive
        > appointment. We're just all stymied by him. On the upside he did
        > gain 1/2 a lb since the 17th so he's back over 11 lbs. He clearly
        > needs to remain on Lasix but dosing is a senstitive thing. He is
        > dehydrated but with the fluid on his lungs subQ's are very scary.
        > The vet has recommended that we remove him from all meds, except
        > Lasix as needed - I've moved him to an every other day dosing, so he
        > didn't get a dose last night. For food I need to add more liquid to
        > it to help him rehydrate. Vet gave me some anti-nausia drug that
        > costs the earth, he had 1/2 a tablet but I'm not sure that it made
        > him eat. She also prescribed the appetitie stimulant cypro....
        > which I haven't given to him yet since he ate last night, not a huge
        > amount but enough. He was up and about this morning and had his
        > head down in the food bowl when I left for work - he's now addicted
        > to Fancy Feast - and he was drinking. He's a tough little guy but
        > his body can only take so much. They did a recheck of his kidney
        > values and found his BUN up and his Creatinine down from the 17th -
        > elevated BUN explains why he's feeling poorly. Vet said he must
        > have been quite fragile before he developed the fluid on his lungs
        > at the beginning of February when he was boarded for 4 days with my
        > other two. He's usually just fine being boarded, we've never had
        > any issues before at all so he must really have been going downhill
        > for a while before and just hiding it, the way cats do. I'm hoping
        > he'll turn around but his heart is in really bad shape, he should be
        > on the heart meds but if they are causing him to feel horrid and not
        > eat then sure they are helping his heart but hurting him otherwise.
        >
        > So now we are in a wait and see situation, we'll just carry on from
        > here and see how much longer he will be with us.
        >
        > Heart disease and CRF - not a fun thing to deal with.
        >
        > Tracy

      • Tracy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hi Nala!

          That's what my vet thinks too, I just got off the phone with her,
          his kidney values are causing the most problems. His BUN went up
          but his Creatinine went down and she's not happy about the elevated
          BUN. She phoned in a prescrption to my pharmacy for a stronger
          antacid though I'm not sure what the name is as I'll pick it up
          tonight. She wants to wait til maybe Monday to restart his
          atenolol. Lasix we are going to try and keep on an every other day
          or so dosing dependent on how he is. He was drinking this morning
          and I added some extra water to his breakfast to help with
          hydration.

          I'm pretty much at the point that it's a quality of life issue for
          him now, I want him to eat and be comfortable but if his life gets
          so unbearable than I'll probably have to make a decision which
          breaks my heart. I was sitting next to him last night on our spare
          bed and I just started sobbing and while in the midst of this I felt
          a paw on my hand, he was trying to reassure me I think. He's such a
          wonderful kitty. I feel guilty for probably causing this by
          boarding him but he's never had bad reactions to boarding before.
          He was in for 10 days last September and sailed through but I guess
          his heart has just been letting him down.

          Big sigh.....

          Tracy
        • Tracy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 12, 2007
            Hi everyone! Thought I'd post an update on my two boys, Pumpkin
            with HCM, and Oscar with HCM+CRF.

            Pumpkin had his follow up at the vet on Saturday and the vet is very
            pleased with him. We talked about his murmur - when the vet first
            thought she heard it back at end of '06 she characterized it as
            Grade I. When she listened a month later it apparently was very
            bad, she called it Grade IV-V. He's been on atenolol since early
            Feb. (he's so easy to pill, just crush it and smear it on deli
            turkey - he hoovers it back so fast!). So she listened to his heart
            on Saturday and she said if she didn't know he had HCM she'd never
            have guessed - his heart sounds great. He's gained a bit of weight
            too and she said overall he looks great. The vets are still
            debating putting him on something to prevent clots. He goes for a
            recheck at the end of May.

            Now Oscar, my problem child. He's continuing to hang in there.
            He's back on Fortekor (1/2 pill/day) and gets Periactin to stimulate
            his appetite (1/4 pill 2x per day) and it works - takes about 2
            hours to kick in but then he eats. His weight feels okay
            considering - he doesn't feel like the feather he did when he came
            home from the vet early February with the CHF. He's also on Pepcid
            but I have a prescription antacid too that I tried (sorry can't
            remember name) but that didn't seem to make much difference. It's
            so hard to know what he's feeling when I look at him. He breathes
            fast but then I look at the other two and they seem to be breathing
            just as fast. I guess I'm afraid to give him Lasix for fear that he
            feels crummy not because of fluid but because of something else. He
            was looking sickly yesterday afternoon until I pulled his brush out
            of the drawer then he was all over me meowing and loving getting
            brushed. His BUN was up at his last check with creat. down which
            would explain his feeling crummy. I'll probably haul him back in to
            the vet in a month to get his bloodwork retested to see how he's
            doing. He's not taking his atenolol, he should be but he's just so
            fragile.......

            We're on the "one day at a time approach" with Oscar. His current
            quality of life is definitely not good but he's not ready to give up
            yet and neither are we.

            Tracy
          • Tracy
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 16, 2007
              Thanks Nala! Oscar is actually do much, much better. He's eating
              and acting almost completely normal - okay, normal for him! He was
              really low on Sunday and Monday didn't seem much better but I
              changed his food and kept giving him the periactin (he gets Pepcid
              in the am and periactin at bedtime) and every day this week he's
              gotten brighter and more like himself. I'm assuming that it's maybe
              because his BUN is coming down with the new food, lower proten and
              phos than what I was feeding him (Friskies). He's eating Science
              Diet Adult Savoury Cuts in Gravy both the chicken and beef flavours
              and he's definitely enjoying it. He's been eating almost two 6 oz
              cans a day since Tuesday. Only other med he's on is his Fortekor.
              He really is a fighter. I think now that spring is almost here and
              it's getting warmer he's going to perk up a lot more too. I'm
              thinking he may have been a tad depressed over the past month, I
              guess feeling yucky and it being so cold and gloomy looking
              outside. He just seemed very down. But I'm hopeful now he's going
              to be with us a bit longer.

              As for his heart meds, that's something I want to talk to the vet
              about. It might be that we just let him be, stay on the Fortekor
              and that's it since he is quite fragile. Continue to monitor him
              for stress and potential fluid buildup. I guess we'll see how
              things go over the next little while. I'm going to check his
              breathing this weekend when I can hopefully catch him sleeping.
              Sometimes it looks like he's breathing too fast then I realize he's
              purring so of course that makes all the difference - it's just so
              nice to hear him purr!

              Tracy

              -------------------
              nala_zq <nala_zq@...> wrote:
              Dear Tracy,

              I don't remember whether I responded to your note previously
              or not - I know that I had intended to!

              That is great news for Pumpkin! It is my opinion that if his heart is
              enlarged, particular the left atrium, that it might not be a bad
              idea to
              put him on a clot prevention med, but that is just my opinion.

              Of course, as you say, things are trickier with Oscar. I'm glad the
              periactin is working well for him. My heart/renal kitty didn't do
              so well with it. I didn't think the Pepcid mattered to my cat
              much either, until I quit giving it to her for a couple of days and
              her eating tapered off.

              I wouldn't be afraid of the lasix. I know it is hard with heart
              and renal kitties to manage both diseases, but if you think he
              is breathing fast I would try to keep it in check. My cat no
              longer gets any kind of standard lasix dosing. It is pretty much -
              count respirations - hmm 28 - well normally they should be
              about 22 when she is sleeping like this, I am going to give her
              10 mg instead of 7.5 and see if they come down at all. Oh goodness,
              now they are up to 36. Now she gets 10 mg. (it really drives me
              crazy).

              I think it is important to try to figure out what kind of respiratory
              rate is "normal" for Oscar when his fluid is under control. You
              can't always rely on the respiration rates of your other kitties,
              but you can also determine what is "normal" for them.

              Try to get your counting done when Oscar is sleeping, not when
              he is dreaming, not when he is awake. I also count the resps. when
              my cat is awake, but completely relaxed - falling asleep - as she
              wakes up when a piece of dust settles on the floor and her breathing
              is always rapid when she is startled awake.

              Best to you and the crew!

              Nala