Re: [FH] Questions about Restrictive myopathy

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hi,

      My girl had HCM, not RCM but I have a couple comments.

      Question # 4 - I use lovenox which is an injectible clot-prevention drug.
      Other people on this list have also used it and I truly believe it works.
      It is expensive and I buy it from Canada. Plavix is a pill that does the
      same thing but from what I understand, it hasn't been in use for cats as
      long as lovenox so there's less "experience" in general with plavix. That
      doesn't mean it doesn't work as well. Aspirin can cause real stomach upset
      and there haven't been tests done to show that it prevents clots. Another
      thing to try is the enzyme nattokinase.

      Question # 5 - Some people, including myself have oxygen at home. There are
      two options - using oxygen tanks or an oxygen concentrator. The initial
      cost of the oxygen concentrator is a lot - about $5-600 from ebay but I
      figure it will offset the cost of one emergency visit. That takes oxygen
      from the air as opposed to renting tanks that don't last very long. The
      downside is that it's noisy but the newer models aren't as bad. If you want
      to know more about a setup, let me know.

      We don't have a poll per se, but if you look at the Yahoo group database
      section, there's a database of basic information on our cats that people
      should update when they join the group called "Our Furbabies". It gives
      information on things like medications, breed, how long the cat has been
      sick, type of heart disease, etc. It hasn't been mentioned in a while so
      people probably aren't keeping it up-to-date.

      Sue