Re: [FH] ok, help

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi Kim,

      I'm sure Q-Tip likes to watch the birds. My kitties
      like to do that too. I always know something is wrong
      when they lose interest in birds and squirrels!

      For my cat, the first sign was that she slowed down
      eating. Next, she started seeking heat - a 180
      degree turn from her usual seeking cool spots - like
      floor tile or porcelain. She became very lethargic
      and it was hard to wake her up, but once awake, she
      acted fairly normally.

      She saw the cardiologist who didn't know why she was
      seeking heat and attributed her sleepiness and
      lethargy to her heart dissease. She saw her regular
      vet who attributed the slowing down in food
      consumption and weight loss to her advancing heart
      disease.

      Next she barely ate. I started to syringe feed her
      and offer her 10s of different wet and dry foods which
      she would eat for 12-36 hours and then would not want
      them anymore. She became even more lethargic and
      sleepy. Her respiration rate actually dropped from
      18-22 to 16-20. I would pet her and pet her and she
      would barely acknowledge it. She wasn't interested in
      anything. Not birds out the window, not food, not
      toys, nothing. Then she completely stopped eating and
      would vomit a few hours after I fed her. She went
      back to the vet. Bloodwork showed elevated BUN (~60)
      and creatinine (~4.1) Then she stopped drinking (which
      I understand is unusual for renal disease).

      We backed off the lasix, and dropped her benazepril
      and gave low amounts of subQ fluids. She did well for
      a day or two, but then got much much worse again and
      was hospitalized with both CHF and kidney failure.

      I'm sure that not all cats behave the same way, but
      this might give you a few ideas of what too look for.
      You might consider joining one of the Yahoo cat renal
      groups and read through posts to get a feeling for
      what others are dealing with and looking for.

      best,

      Nala

      --- "Cannon,Kimberly"
      <kimberly.cannon@...> wrote:

      > What are signs of kidney disease and "crashing",

      Be a PS3 game guru.