What to do?!?

  • srobesky
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20 8:14 AM
      Saturday my little guy was having weird breathing. I thought maybe he
      had a cold. Monday took him to the vet and they deemed him a serious
      case and hospitalised him overnight. Today took him to get an
      ultrasound and they tell me that he has severe cardiomyopathy. He has
      fluid in his chest and around his heart. I have taken him back to
      hospitalisation and told that the outcome is not good.

      Now I am waiting for him to see a cardiologist, but still told that
      his outcome is not good. They say it could be a few days, a few weeks,
      a few months - they don't know.

      I am freaking out. He is on oxygen and now they are putting him on
      something to stop clotting.

      I am just starting to read through past posts here. Please someone
      offer me some advice. He is only 6 years old and my best friend. I
      am devastated and just want for him to be comfortable...

      Thanks...

      Here is the little dude:
      http://www.nerdgirl.com/2003/10/19/my-best-friend/

      Stephanie
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20 12:02 PM
        Stephanie,

        Welcome to you and Roley. I am sorry to hear about Roley's condition but glad that you found us. Like Sue told you, most of us in this group found out the same way you did about our kitties' heart problem. It is a very scary and confusing time and we hope that we can help you stay calm. We have lots of information and love to share. But first, I am sure that you have done some research online and saw nothing but bad things about kitties with heart problems. It isn't always that way. There are lots of kitties in this group that have had long full lives with heart disease. That is not always the case but we always hope for the best.

        Sue already gave you some information that will greatly help when Roley comes home. Counting respirations will become second nature and you will know just by a quick look if something is wrong. Also, I second Sue on giving supplements like CoEnzyme Q10 and others. Once Roley comes homes and settled, we can give you more info on these.

        It does take time, at first, to get the medication combination just right so don't fret when he comes home. You may want to put your vet/cardio on speed dial for questions. You will have lots of questions at first - do not be afraid to ask them of your vet or us. Do NOT, however, wait for an answer from us if you think Roley is in an emergency situation. Go directly to the ER with him.

        There are other Sphynx kitties in this group with heart problems. I do believe this breed has become a known breed with heart problems passed on genetically. If you know the breeder, you should let them know about Roley. A reputable breeder will stop the line but that is not always the case, unfortunately.

        Be sure to ask any questions that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is. I know it is hard but try to relax and take a deep breath. If you stay calm, so will Roley. Hang in there!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • pharosmommy
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20 1:01 PM
          Hi Stephanie, I just saw your post. I have a little Sphynx boy, Pharo
          who was diagnosed with severe HCM in august of last year. They told
          me at the emergency that it didn't look good for him either. They
          said he could live 4 minutes, 4 hours, 4 days...we don't know. 6
          months later I have stabilized his CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) and
          he is a happy boy. My baby is almost 3 years old (March 19th!). He
          is on tons of medicine, aspirin, oxygen, and COQ10. I can tell you
          the entire story if you want to email me...we can compare notes. I
          have been through hell and back with my naked baby...he is like my
          child. I
          know what you are going through, but you found the right place. If it
          weren't for this group, I truely think Pharo wouldn't have made it
          past the first few months. Here is my email jekyll28@....
          Hugs,
          Andrea & Pharo

          P.S You can see my naked babies in the photo section of the group.
          They are Pharo & Pooka. There is also another Sphynx named Belle &
          her mommy Katie in this group.
        • srobesky
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21 7:39 AM
            Thanks everyone for your kind words. I spoke to the vet this morning
            and he has started Roley on some meds. He hasn't had to drain his
            chest and says the fluid is going down thanks to the diuertics.

            He also says that Roley is looking a lot brighter and happier today.
            I hope that this means that I will be able to bring him home soon.

            Now I am waiting on the consult from the cardiologist. We'll see and
            fingers crossed.

            You can't keep Super Cat down!
            http://www.nerdgirl.com/2003/08/23/supercat/

            Stephanie

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "pharosmommy" <pharosmommy@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21 8:04 AM
              Stephanie,

              That is wonderful to hear!! And the link to the pictures was just too damn funny! Loved it!

              Leah and her cats and Angel Alec