Re: [FH] Correct values for Q-tip. Please give input..Please

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2007
      Kim,

      I'm sure others will chime in as they see your post. .
      .

      The creatine of 2.6 is a little high, but not
      outrageous based on the ranges for the three different
      labs that have been doing my cat's testing. The BUN
      is also a little high, this can be related to diet.
      Creatinine and BUN can be elevated due to dehydration
      or UTI.

      Is Q-tip eating well? Is she drinking water well?
      Dehydration can cause a cat to breath more quickly.

      Often in chronic renal failure the phosphorus level
      will climb, but your value is low. . I have read
      that hypokalemia (low potassium) in and of itself can
      lead to elevated creatinine levels as well as lowered
      phosphorus levels. Of course there are many other
      reasons for low phosphorus such as diet and
      parathyroid issues.

      The low potassium may be due to lasix - I don't
      remember whether Q-tip is taking an ACE-inhibitor or
      spironolactone, these help with the potassium wasting
      effects of furosemide.

      Sodium and Potassium are two of the main electrolytes
      in the body and the ratio just shows that they are out
      of balance, the K is too low and the Na is too high so
      you get a larger number than you might like.

      Best,

      Nala

      --- froggymeowmeow <kimberly.cannon@...>