Re: [FH] Her values

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2007
      Kim,

      OK, the Creatine is much better at 2.6 than 3.1. Her Phosporus looks ggod, you want this below 4.0. The Potassium is probably from the diuretics. Definitely supplementation is needed for the potassium. I would not worry too much right now about the kidneys. Be sure to do a recheck in a month or two. If the results are worse than you can think about kidney issues. All her numbers could be off due to the infection.

      Dehydration can cause heavy breathing and change kidney numbers too. See how she does on the lower lasix dosage. Don't panic yet.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      froggymeowmeow <kimberly.cannon@...> wrote:
      BUN-47
      Creatine -2.6 (NOT 3.1)
      NA/K ration 56 ( what is this)
      Phosphorus--3.1 (almost low..what does that mean)
      Potasium-2.8 ( getting something for that tommrow from vet)
      Sodium-160 ( a little high)

      Her liver enzymes are slightly high, but she has a gum infection so
      she is getting Marin for Cats and a antibotic for her gums.

      Her chest X-ray was clear..no fluid build-up.
      Her heavy brething..maybe her directic too high per vet. Adjusting
      to lower dose.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Leah Ferron
      wrote:

      > Kim,
      >
      > There is great debate over high or low protein for kitties with
      kidney problems. Angel Alec was on low protein special kidney food
      for his renal values. I can't say if it helped or not but his values
      stayed stable with the food for 3 years. That doesn't mean it was the
      food that did it or if his kidneys just weren't that bad. I think the
      kidney food helped to make his muscle wasting worse. Maybe the food
      had benefits and maybe it hurt him. I can't be sure and I can't
      recommend it either way.

      > I do think Q-Tip is having a kidney issue but it could be acute
      instead of chronic. I would think you would want another blood test
      in a month or two before you change her food. The values as they are
      ones that you definitely want to watch. The research says that a
      change in Creat from 2-4 is a greater change than 5-8 or above. That
      is because once the Creat is above normal than the kidneys are
      working at a 75% deficit. Let me know if I can help with anything
      else.