Re: [FH] new member and newly diagnosed with severe hcm

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
      Hello,

      Welcome to you and your kitty. Please let us know your names. I am sorry to hear of your kitty's condition but glad that you found us.

      It is very possible that the steroid put your kitty into CHF. Hopefully, the CHF will resolve but often it does not. I am not a believer in the lasix only treatment, but I am not a vet. I would ask your vet why a heart med is not recommended. I would also start giving supplements like CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10). If you need more info on supplements just email me. A good quality canned diet would probably be best too.

      Be sure to watch her breathing. Often the lasix dosage does change and needs increased. A good way to monitor this is by counting her breathes. A regular cat has 20-30 breathes/minute. Anything over than 30 is not good and more lasix will be needed. The best time to count is when they are at rest, preferably sleeping, but not dreaming or purring, as this will increase the rate. Your vet can help with lasix dosage. Be sure to ask your vet all the questions that you may have when you have them!

      And feel free to ask us any question that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is! Welcome, again, to our group.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec