Re: Help with Stomatitis

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2007
      I keep forgetting that the response on this group defaults to sender.
      So, I sent this response to Leslie, and hopefully, it will be helpful
      for her. I just figured that this could be helpful info for others,
      as well. The dental issue is a challenge with our heart kitties,
      given anesthesia risks, anyway.

      (On that point, Apollo has been wonderfully tolerant of the addition
      of toothbrushing to his daily routine :-)

      ANYWAY, my response re the questions in this post (with additions)
      follows:

      My 16 yo kitty, Gizmo, had terrible stomatitis. It looked so bad that
      he was biopsied because the vet was concerned he had a cancerous
      growth. I tried all of the meds, vitamin B shots, Slippery Elm and
      bovine lactoferrin. He had two surgeries, removed a few teeth,etc. I
      put off the full mouth extraction for a long time because it seemed so
      radical (and quite expensive). We exhausted the options and finally
      went ahead and did the full extractions. It took four hours, and I
      fed him through a tube in his neck for the first few days....

      Note: I'm told that even leaving one or two teeth can keep the disease
      going. It is also important to make sure that the extractions are
      total---pieces of tooth remaining in the gum can keep it going too.

      I was told that there was a chance that it wouldn't work, esp with a
      case as bad as his, but we got a 90% cure and a 200% happier kitty.
      (Although he recently developed hyper-T and just went in for I-131
      today!!!!)

      If only I could do it over again, I would have had ALL of the
      extractions done early on. (This was a lesson I've taken to heart
      though---if there is a chance for a cure, I'll just DO IT, if at all
      possible, rather than fiddling around with medications, etc).

      (Unfortunately we can't cure Apollo's AS, though. :-(

      Take care,
      Rebecca

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Lawther"
      <LeslieLawther@...> wrote:

      > *Someone in our group has a lovely cat (negative for FIV and FeLV) with
      > terrible Stomatitis. He has had his teeth pulled (except canines)
      and she
      > said his poor mouth looks like ground beef. She is very
      concerned... and to
      > make things worse, this boy who's favorite pastime is eating, is now
      > refusing food. The vet put him on Pred. Zithromax and Interferon
      > yesterday... however he didn't seem to hold out much help. I was hoping
      > there was some other ideas out there. I have never (KNOCK ON WOOD)
      had this
      > affliction in any of our rescues... so I'm at a loss with regard to
      what to
      > suggest. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated... we're really worried
      > about this little guy. It would seem like something like OraGel
      could be
      > used to reduce pain?? *
      >
      > --
      > Leslie =^..^=
      >
      > To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
      > patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded.
      That