Re: [FH] new member and newly diagnosed with severe hcm

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2007

      Welcome to the group.

      For all the discussion on depo-medrol, here's the NIH page -

      Steroids can be a problem. It seems here that maybe her system was able to
      hold back the effects of HCM but it would have come out sooner or later
      regardless of the injection.

      Congestive heart failure (CHF) is a scary thing but it is only a *symptom*
      of heart disease and not a disease by itself. In some cats, it's relatively
      easy to control if you get the cat on the proper medications. What you
      experienced with her recovery is not uncommon.

      Proper medications include a diuretic (e.g. lasix) along with medications to
      control the workload on the heart. Those include ace-inhibitors (e.g.
      enalapril), beta-blockers (e.g. atenolol) or calcium-channel blockers.
      Giving a diuretic by itself is not good. The vet that initially diagnosed
      my girl prescribed just that but I found this group and it was suggested
      that I go to a veterinary cardiologist. He performed an echocardiogram
      (ECG - aka sonogram of the heart). That gave him more information on her
      condition so he could prescribe the proper meds.

      During the months following her diagnosis, her condition did change and her
      medication did need to be adjusted. She went into CHF a couple times but
      over time I got better at seeing the subtle signs that it was coming on.

      There are other things that can help her including a good-quality canned
      food diet and supplements such as CoQ10.

      If you go to the Yahoo group web site, there are some good references there.
      In the Links section are links to sites where you can search for a
      cardiologist. In the Files section is a document with questions to ask your
      vet (3rd item from the bottom)

      How is she doing today? And please post your name & hers!

      Sue & Pepper