Re: [FH] Katy ...Nala

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2007
      Bev,

      Personally, after dealing with heart disease for a couple of years, I would
      definitely want to get a heart murmur cat on drugs early on. Just my
      opinion.

      It's an excellent idea to do a telephone consult with the cardiologists at
      the vet school. There are very few cardiologists in the country and there
      are people on this list who do just that. A few months ago, I was speaking
      with the cardiology intern at the clinic where I take Pepper. She said that
      she was interviewing for a residency position. She mentioned that there are
      only 9 residency spots in the entire country this year. No wonder there are
      so few cardiologists.

      My Pepper has asthma. Because it's triggered by food allergies, I don't
      have to medicate her. But I have learned a lot by being on the Feline
      Asthma & Bronchitis list. Note that I've heard good things about the Feline
      Asthma Inhaled Medicine group also.

      Asthma is most often diagnosed by x-rays. The x-rays show small circles, or
      donuts in the lung area. It's uncommon for the circles not to show up but
      it does happen. I never heard anything about it being age-related. If the
      asthma does not show up on an x-ray, the next thing to validate a diagnosis
      is to treat it short-term with something like prednisone or prednisolone.
      If the coughing / wheezing stops, then they usually consider the diagnosis
      confirmed.

      Congratulations to your vet for knowing the correct way to treat asthma.
      Inhaled steroids are so much better than oral. The oral steroids like
      prednisone have very bad effects on the system over the long term. They
      depress the immune system and can cause problems like obesity and diabetes.
      Inhaled steroids (e.g. flovent and albuterol) go right to the problem spot.
      They can be administered with an AeroKat

      AeroKat description -
      http://www.aerokat.com/Animal_Health/ah_aerokat_fac.asp
      Link to buy one - https://ourinformation.net/Store/index.html

      Absolutely the best resource on the internet for feline asthma is at Fritz
      the Brave http://www.fritzthebrave.com They have a few videos links from
      their home page showing a typical asthma attack and how to administer
      inhaled medications.

      All the best to you and your kitty.

      Sue