Re: [FH] Bongo Update (long and sad)

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      Susan,

      I am very sorry for the way life is treating you and Bongo right now. It is times like now when it is hard to find the reasoning. You seem to be doing all you can for Bongo.

      Have you asked the vet about the nausea? There are things that could be given for that which might make it easier for Bongo to eat and keep it down. Pepcid is often recommended or Slippery Elm Powder too for upset stomachs. You can't stop trying to feed her because after too long without food her liver will go into hepatic lipodosis. This will complicate things even more. Try meat only baby food (no onions). It can be fed by syringe too since it is pureed. Cats often go bonkers for this even when they don't want food.

      When will you get the results on the fluid taken from the lungs? Be sure to be persistent with the vet and don't be afraid to ask them to do more. Maybe get a few different vets to see her. A lot of what a vet does is from experience and if your vet doesn't have a lot of experience with these particular symptoms, another vet may. Another vet may be more willing to do research or make some calls for you. Sometimes younger vets are more open to suggestions and asking for help from other vets.

      As far as bongo being afraid of you, be sure to spend more time consoling her than trying to pill/feed her and be sure to do this right after doing the bad stuff she hates. Maybe Rescue Remedy would help. A lot of people, including myself, have used it with some success.

      My thoughts are with you. We know how hard this can be and you are doing a great job with Bongo.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec