Bongo Update (long and sad)

  • duflinkka
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi all. I wish I had something good to report. As you may recall,
      Bonk had been having trouble breathing so I took her to the vet. He
      began treating her with an antibiotic, clavamox I believe.

      Blood tests came back clear. X rays were taken, and the vet said he
      thought she had a large tumor in her chest area. I disagreed - I
      thought it was fluid. I consulted a partner in his practice that
      agreed with me. They did not have the equipment to properly diagnose
      her problem. I was told the nearest option was in Ames, at ISU, over
      3.5 hours away. I've been her person almost 14 years now and I know
      she cannot make the trip.

      I proceeded to call every vet I could locate online or in phonebooks.
      Several of them referred me to others. My goal was to find someone
      who could/would travel with the equipment to check for a heart
      problem. I have had no success. In the meantime, the vet who agreed
      her x ray showed fluid started her on Baytril and Lasix. He did a
      chest prick and sent the fluids to ISU for a diagnostic. His theory
      is that it's pnemonia. I still think it's a heart issue, but it
      wouldn't hurt to rule out pnemonia.

      She became very ill after starting the meds so I discontinued them.
      She began wheezing after starting the lasix, too. She has now totally
      stopped eating. I have tried assistive feeding with a syringe one cc
      at a time. She just vomits everyhing I give her. She's not done well
      with the meds, either. She won't eat food with them in it and cought
      on to the pill pockets very quickly. She wsa highly traumatized by
      the process of pilling without them. At this point she just hides
      when she sees me, because she doesn't know if I'm crating her to the
      vet, medicating her, or giving her food she is too nauseous to eat.
      My greatest fear right now is that I won't find anyone to help her and
      she will die afraid of me.

      I am writing to update you even though the scenario is not good. Many
      people have responded to me and offered wonderful advice and kind
      words. Right now I feel totally lost. But I can say this - the quick
      response when I first posted was greatly appreciated. Please don't
      make it difficult for new members to get the help and reassurance they
      need just because of a few spammers. It only takes a second to delete
      their messages.

      Thank you all -
      Susan, Bonk, and Mr M
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
        Susan,

        I am very sorry for the way life is treating you and Bongo right now. It is times like now when it is hard to find the reasoning. You seem to be doing all you can for Bongo.

        Have you asked the vet about the nausea? There are things that could be given for that which might make it easier for Bongo to eat and keep it down. Pepcid is often recommended or Slippery Elm Powder too for upset stomachs. You can't stop trying to feed her because after too long without food her liver will go into hepatic lipodosis. This will complicate things even more. Try meat only baby food (no onions). It can be fed by syringe too since it is pureed. Cats often go bonkers for this even when they don't want food.

        When will you get the results on the fluid taken from the lungs? Be sure to be persistent with the vet and don't be afraid to ask them to do more. Maybe get a few different vets to see her. A lot of what a vet does is from experience and if your vet doesn't have a lot of experience with these particular symptoms, another vet may. Another vet may be more willing to do research or make some calls for you. Sometimes younger vets are more open to suggestions and asking for help from other vets.

        As far as bongo being afraid of you, be sure to spend more time consoling her than trying to pill/feed her and be sure to do this right after doing the bad stuff she hates. Maybe Rescue Remedy would help. A lot of people, including myself, have used it with some success.

        My thoughts are with you. We know how hard this can be and you are doing a great job with Bongo.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec