Kitten panting

  • Beverly Levine
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I took my 9 months old Persian kitty to the cardiologist today....as I have told you in past posts...he pants when running around a lot.

      I couldn't have asked for better news. I will quote what the cardio wrote "The abnormal rhythm detected by your vet on the ECG was compatible with a left anterior fascicular bundle branch block which we can find in normal cats. This finding is incidental, and the patient will hopefully never develop clinical signs related to this. We have seen these cats progress into AV block, thus future ECG's should be done. We have seen HCM develop this rhythm, but having this rhythm does not mean your cat will develop HCM.

      The heart is not related to the breathing issues, it is likely his upper airway issues, are consistent with the breed. Meaning, because he has such a flat pushed in nose. He did say, I had a smart cat who opens his mouth when he needs more air..as most cats don't.

      I also asked him about my six year old kitty with a heart murmur. He said there was nothing he could give him to stop the progression and therefore there was no hurry in having an echo done as he has no symptoms.

      I have another cat that has been coughing lately...and he said...cats don't cough with heart issues..but it could be asthma.

      I was so worried about the results of the echo...but I knew, I had to find out for sure in case he needed to be put on medication.
      There are no words to describe how relieved I am. I do want to thank you all for encouraging me to take him in for the echo...and although the cost was a lot ....I just had to know.

      I told him, his name is (Jimmy Choo)..he's a red tabby Persian, that he could pant all he needed to and I wasn't going to freak out any more.

      I wonder if anyone has had experience or info that differs from what I was told today...about him..or the others.
      Bev
      Just for the record...the cost was $440 $95 for the consult, 250 for the echo, and $95 for the ECG. The best money I have ever spent!

    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
        Bev,

        So glad that they didn't find major problems with your
        little Persian boy, but an AV block, if it were to
        develop, can be a serious problem. In humans one would
        have a pacemaker implanted, but this is not commonly
        done in cats. I have only seen a handful of reports,
        and in at least two cases, other complications
        developed.

        >I also asked him about my six year old kitty with a
        heart murmur. He >said there was nothing he could give
        him to stop the progression and >therefore there was
        no hurry in having an echo done as he has no
        >symptoms.

        It seems that the veterinary world is full of
        contradictions and opinions, but very few
        well-controlled studies. Many vets and vet cards
        don't believe that heart issues should be explored
        unless there are outward symptoms. Others think that
        a heart murmur is enough of a symptom to explore, and
        that the cat should be examined in order to start
        treatment as soon as possible. The main problem is
        that there aren't very many good studies showing that
        any one treatment actually extends the life of the cat
        or the quality of life of the cat. Also, it is the
        underlying assumption of many vets that there will not
        be owner compliance in following the prescribed
        treatment. Some owners are not willing to medicate
        their cats 2-5 times a day, so that often becomes the
        bias of the treating vet.

        Whether or not you want to have your 6 year old
        examined is up to you. My cat developed her murmur
        somewhere between the ages of 3.5 and 4.5. It was
        caught on her annual exam. At the age of 5.5 we had
        an echo done and found she had very mild HCM. We
        started treatment, but the disease has progressed
        quite rapidly. However, my cat seems to be unusual,
        most cats that my vet. card. has seen remain
        relatively stable over longer periods of time. Just
        keep in mind that the development of a murmur in an
        older cat is never "normal."

        > cat that has been coughing lately...and he
        said...cats don't cough >with heart issues..but it
        could be asthma.

        This is NOT true. Although it is true that dogs with
        heart issues frequently have coughs, and most cats
        with heart issues don't have coughs, it is NOT true
        that cats with coughs DON'T have heart disease.

        It is my understanding that asthma can be diagnosed by
        x-ray, as long as other possibilities are ruled out.
        Others here have asthmatic cats - hopefully they will
        chime in.

        >Just for the record...the cost was $440 . The best
        money I have ever >spent!

        I am so glad you had him checked out. Peace of mind
        is priceless. That is how I felt after I decided to
        have my heart-kitty's litter mate checked out by echo.
        It was a lot of money, but I was soooo relieved.

        Best,

        Nala, Camille and Cozette

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • JAM0467@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 2:00 PM
          Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his heart
          disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man into our family
          from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick out which
          kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.

          He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face. Allegedly he
          looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that breed.

          Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I watched for a
          little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open, tongue hanging
          out. Of course, I freaked.

          He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I wondered if
          he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of choking
          or distress, he just kept panting.

          I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in, and one hour
          later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but his heart
          and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having a
          murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)

          Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.

          Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even when panting,
          he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy Feast) and
          everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.

          Thoughts?
          Jennifer

          www.jennamills.com
          THE PERFECT STRANGER, SRS, April 2007 -- an RT BookClub Top Pick!
          A LITTLE BIT GUILTY, SRS, June 2007
          SINS OF THE STORM, SRS, September 2007

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 2:40 PM
            Jennifer,

            I am sorry to hear about Moe. I am glad you saved a kitty, though! Did your vet suspect or say anything about asthma/allergies? That is what first came to mind after heart problems (only because I am a worry wart about that now, go figure). What makes me shy away from the heart problem thought is that the panting lasted so long. Most times when a heart kitty pants after exertion like playing, it doesn't last that long. Once the heart and body calms down so does the breathing. Where as asthma or allergies, once aggrevated can take a while for the inflammation to go down. I don't know what to make of the fever. Please keep us updated.

            I adopted a turskish angora (or so I was told by the shelter). They are a very amiable breed and very loyal. My Callie follows me everywhere and gets into everything, very kitten like even at 2 years old. These are common traits with TAs. If Moe is a TA, he will be a very good family addition. I hope all goes well.

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

          • timbysmommy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 3:51 PM
              Hi,

              How wonderful that you have a new baby!

              When my baby Timby (Siamese) was just a kitten, we were playing with
              him and he started panting. At the time, I thought he just
              overexerted himself. Well, six years later, he developed a slight
              murmur, which was attributed to anemia (he was in renal failure). He
              died just a few weeks later of heart failure. I now realize that his
              panting as a kitten was a sign that I did not appreciate at the time.
              I won't forgive myself for that one, ever. Maybe if he had been
              diagnosed at the time, he could have gotten on meds and lived longer.
              And on top of all that, when we brought him in when he was in heart
              failure, the vet was POSITIVE that it was not heart disease because
              he had a normal heart on x-ray. And despite my telling her that I did
              not feel it was his asthma acting up, she treated it as asthma. Well,
              5 days after that, he was dead. I would say to go with your gut. If
              you are worried about heart, get the echo. A normal x-ray does not
              rule out heart disease, no matter what a vet might tell you. No
              murmur is certainly good, and I tend to agree with Leah that it might
              be allergy/asthma related, but if you have any smidge of a fear that
              it is heart and you can get the echo, do it. You don't know how many
              times I wish I could rewind the clock and take him in for an echo
              when he had his panting episode.

              Good luck.

              Linda and Li Li

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, JAM0467@... wrote:

              > Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his
              heart
              > disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man
              into our family
              > from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick
              out which
              > kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.
              >
              > He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face.
              Allegedly he
              > looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that
              breed.

              > Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I
              watched for a
              > little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open,
              tongue hanging
              > out. Of course, I freaked.
              >
              > He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I
              wondered if
              > he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of
              choking
              > or distress, he just kept panting.
              >
              > I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in,
              and one hour
              > later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but
              his heart
              > and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having
              > murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)
              >
              > Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.
              >
              > Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even
              when panting,
              > he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy
              Feast) and
              > everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.
              >
              > Thoughts?
              > Jennifer
            • Belinda
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2 11:53 PM
                Linda,

                I sorry you lost your Timmy, please don't feel bad though, you can
                only do the best with what you were told and with your vet thinking he
                was OK with the heart looking normal you had nothing but that to go by.
                Timmy knows you did the best you could for him and how much you loved
                him. He is whole and healthy now and with you always and forever in
                your heart.

                My Joey did the panting at 5 months of age and I took him to the vet,
                they did say his heart was shaped funny and he went to a vet collage for
                many tests. They diagnosed him very, very early HCM. He was put on
                medication and a year later we moved back here and I had him checked by
                a feline cardiologist and he said there was no evidence of heart disease
                and told us to take him off the meds.

                He is 11 years old now and was diagnosed about a year and a half ago
                with HCM and has been on 1/4 benazepril daily for the first year and a
                couple of months, then we upped his dose to 1/2 a pill daily because he
                still has high BP. Haven't checked his BP again, need to do that soon.
                He was checked again for his HCM after being on the benazepril for 6
                months or so and there was very little change, the thickening was very
                slightly more and the arotia was a tiny bit more dilated. The vet told
                me that they are finding some cats progress much slower in the disease
                process and are considered to be progressive HCM.

                So did he have HCM when he was 5 months old? The cardiologist that
                checked him when we got back here said probably not, but since he
                developed it later I have to think he probably did.

                So from about 1 1/2 years of age when we took him off the meds he was
                fine, it took 8 1/2 years for it to surface again, although my vet had
                told me a year before that, that he had a heart murmur, I just didn't at
                that time grasp the seriousness of the implications of that and she
                didn't push it.

                Joey is my life so I'm very upset for not doing something sooner but
                hopefully it won't have any dire lasting effects. He is also very early
                CRF and gets 50ccs of fluids once a week.

                My vet always poop poohs my gut feelings too and because of it my Fred
                (CRF) has been suffering with an infection for 6 weeks. He is finally
                recovering and once I run out of the clavamox the vet gave me I am going
                to keep him on fish mox (very similar to clavamox) for an additional 2
                or 3 weeks. Each time he has been on it it looked like it was cleared
                up but within a week it flared back up, this is the 4th time we are
                fighting the same infection!!!

                If they don't get their acts together I will be looking for a new one.

                PS. Joey is a siamese mix :)

                --

                Belinda
                happiness is being owned by cats ...

                Be-Mi-Kitties
                http://bemikitties.com
              • timbysmommy
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3 6:13 AM
                  Belinda,

                  Thank you so much for your thoughts and for sharing your story.

                  Very interesting. I tend to think like you, that he probably had it
                  but was stable for most of his life until later. I wonder if the
                  cardiologist took him off the meds because the disease had remissed
                  somehow? I mean the fact that there was no evidence of disease at
                  that time does not mean that it never existed. Maybe it improved with
                  the medication?

                  As far as Joey, please be careful with the fluids for CRF. 50 cc once
                  a week does not sound like a lot. My Timby was on 100 cc every day,
                  and I have no doubt that that hastened his going into heart failure
                  (of course if we had known he had heart diease we would have done the
                  fluids very differently or not at all). But it is a delicate balance.

                  And yes, you gotta go with your gut. If I had, I would have walked
                  right out of that first vet's office. You know your baby better than
                  anyone.

                  Best,

                  Linda and Li Li