Re: [FH] I don't like this ride anymore, can I get offf!!!

  • Lisa Clarizia
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      Kim,

      Try not to get too discouraged. This happens sometimes.

      Baby Boy was the same way -- even when his fluid was 'controlled' he'd still
      have days where I had to double or triple his lasix. Maybe he was a little
      extra playful, maybe the moons of Jupiter were in retrograde ... who knows?
      A day or two at the higher dose, and then back down to his regular dose.

      The thing is, while you may need to up Q's dosage right now, it may not
      necessarily be a permanent thing. Also, adding spiro on top of the lasix
      (can't recall if you are doing this already) works very, very well for
      refractory CHF. In fact, it's recommended for such cats.

      *Hugs* Hang in there!

      Lisa

      On 2/1/07, Cannon,Kimberly <kimberly.cannon@...> wrote:

      > <
      > http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=482138/grpspId=1707296857/msgId=
      > 26713/stime=1170287121/nc1=3848646/nc2=3848443/nc3=4025347>
      > __ Q-tip is not having a good day. Her breathing was labored and in the
      > 30's. I doubled her Salix per the vet and that will most likely fix the
      > problem, but these bad d ays are happening more and more. If we could
      > control her fluid, she'd live forever, but we keep lapsing into refractory
      > CHF and having to go higher and higher with the Salix, and I know that's
      > not
      > good for her kidneys. I don;t like this roller coaster. Let me off.

    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        Kimberley,

        We are right there with you, fighting at least one
        pretty scary episode every 7-10 days and minor
        episodes another 1 -2x/week.

        My cardiologist goes by 4 mg/kg up to 3x/day for the
        lasix dosing. My regular vet says 4.4 mg/kg up to
        2x/day. Just remember a kg is about 2.2 lbs so divide
        Q-tip's weight by 2.2 to figure out how many pounds he
        is then multiply by 4 to figure a maximum dose.

        For my cat (about 6.6 lbs so 6.6lbs/2.2kg per lb = 3
        kg). 3 kg x 4 mg = 12 mg. So I can give 12 mg 3x/day
        for a total of 36 mg. Currently Cozette is getting
        something like 7.5 mg at 6:30 am, 7.5 mg at 2:30 pm
        and 7.5 mg at 10:30 pm. However, if her respirations
        are really good (18 to 20) I give her 5 mg, and if
        they are elevated (28-32) I give her 10. If they stay
        elevated she gets another 5.

        We have also added hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ - without
        the spironolactone) to her treatment because sometimes
        we can't get her breathing under control even at 35 mg
        lasix. We have only been giving about 3 mg of the
        HCTZ 1x/day at the 10:30 dose because for whatever
        reason, she seems to have problems at night - she will
        be fine at 7 pm and at 9 pm, but suddenly at 10 pm her
        respirations will be creeping up and after treatment
        they start to come down only around 2 am.

        Since my kitty has been having some renal issues, I
        try to make sure she has plenty to drink. I have two
        kitty fountains and if she follows me into the
        bathroom or kitchen I let her drink from the sink. . .
        Her kidney values have been OK for the past month
        despite the larger and larger doses of diuretics. We
        are keeping our fingers crossed.

        Best to you and the Q-tip.

        Nala, Camille and Cozette

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • Vickie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
          Is Q-Tip on Atenolol? If so maybe you need to cut it out.

          I know Baby was having breathing problems, and it was the meds.

          Sorry if this was asked already, I didn't have time to go through all the