Re: [FH] I don't like this ride anymore, can I get offf!!!

  • Sandra Richards
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      I've been running into the same problem with Buffy. It's especially
      troubling because her condition can develop into a serious event within a
      matter of an hour or so. Have had to take her to the emergency 3 times in
      January. I'm a bit discouraged, but then again, finding the right dose is a
      matter of trial and error it seems. I realize that the disease is
      degenerative, but it's not clear to me, whether she's actually getting that
      much or it's us just still fumbling around trying to figure out how much she
      needs. We had to bring her in Monday night, and at that point the doctor
      pretty much gave us carte blanche to give her whatever, and said she thought
      she could go up to 60 fairly safely.

      We're up to 35 now, spread out over the day in 4 doses (10-5-10-10) because
      we noticed that 4 of 5 times we've gone to the hospital it was exactly at
      dinner time, and getting through the day seems to be where the problems
      happen. Maybe spreading the doses throughout the day might help. We've also
      decided to act as soon as her breathing gets into the 30s because it's more
      difficult to deal with once it becomes a matter of playing catch-up. We give
      her 10mg/hour until she starts going back down. Anyway, I find it comforting
      to read about people whose cats are at fairly high doses and are still doing
      well.

      Sandra

      On 2/1/07, Sara <sara5266@...> wrote:

      > I'm so sorry Q-tip is having a bad day :( Unfortunately there is no
      > getting off the roller coaster called life...we are bound to have many more
      > ups and downs to come, and there is no living forever for any of us, so we
      > are forced to deal whether we like it or not... thats why we have this group
      > to help!
      >
      > Hopefully doubling the salix will help, let us know how it goes.

    • Cannon,Kimberly
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        The vet does not seem to want to change her atonal or enalapril up any
        because he says her heart rate is well regulated, but we still get that darn
        fluid. She weighs about 8 pounds and gets 37.5 mg a day. 12.5, 12.5, 12.5

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Sandra,

          Lasix / furosemide stays in their system for about 6 hours, so you've hit on
          the right idea - to spread out the doses during the day.

          My Pepper gets 20mg at 7am, 3pm and 11pm and it works for her.

          Sue

          > I've been running into the same problem with Buffy. It's especially
          > troubling because her condition can develop into a serious event within a
          > matter of an hour or so. Have had to take her to the emergency 3 times in
          > January. I'm a bit discouraged, but then again, finding the right dose is
          > matter of trial and error it seems. I realize that the disease is
          > degenerative, but it's not clear to me, whether she's actually getting
          that
          > much or it's us just still fumbling around trying to figure out how much
          she
          > needs. We had to bring her in Monday night, and at that point the doctor
          > pretty much gave us carte blanche to give her whatever, and said she
          thought
          > she could go up to 60 fairly safely.
          >
          > We're up to 35 now, spread out over the day in 4 doses (10-5-10-10)
          because
          > we noticed that 4 of 5 times we've gone to the hospital it was exactly at
          > dinner time, and getting through the day seems to be where the problems
          > happen. Maybe spreading the doses throughout the day might help. We've
          also
          > decided to act as soon as her breathing gets into the 30s because it's
          more
          > difficult to deal with once it becomes a matter of playing catch-up. We
          give
          > her 10mg/hour until she starts going back down. Anyway, I find it
          comforting
          > to read about people whose cats are at fairly high doses and are still
          doing
          > well.
          >
          > Sandra

        • Sue at MAGDRL
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
            Kimberly,

            As Lisa said, maybe she needs more diuretics. My Pepper gets 60mg lasix daily (20mg TID) along with 6.25mg spironolactone HCTZ (which is a combination of spiro and another diuretic - hydrochlorothiazide).

            If they add spiro, they will probably start out with the plain spiro (not the HCTZ). It worked for Pepper!

            Sue