Sascha's check up

  • random_is_the_new_black
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hey all, hope everyone is well.

      Sascha had her check up with the cardiologist on Tuesday night and
      he seemed quite pleased with her. Her bloods had all come back
      clear so she's in reasonable health despite her condition. We've
      got to go back again in 6 weeks for another check up and the
      cardiologist will decide whether to wean Sascha off the frusemide
      and see how she gets on without it. Also she's going to be
      rescanned in 6 months to see how the HCM is stabilising. Other than
      that he suggested trying to give her a junior asprin every three
      days to prevent any clots but if she doesn't tolerate it not to
      worry.

      Sash seems quite happy but hasn't been eating as much as she had
      done a few days ago. I'm just hoping that it's the drugs that are
      kicking in and she will adjust and get her appetite back. The vet
      mentioned that he he'd like her to put a little weight on but that
      he's not overly concerned as long as she doesn't lose any.

      Finally, I put a few pics up a few days ago; they aren't very good
      ones though as these were the only ones on my other half's laptop.
      Mine has broken down (along with the TV which has blown up!) and
      all my best ones are on there :o(

      Nina + Sascha
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
        Dear Nina,

        I am happy that Sascha's blood work was good. I am
        sorry about the heart diagnosis.

        I would mention that it is unusual for a cat that
        needs frusemide/furosemide to be able to stop taking
        it. In general, once a cat has required a diuretic,
        it is not likely that they will not require it in the
        future. This is also true with the dosing of the
        drug. Generally, once you need a higher maintenance
        level of frusemide/furosemide you will not be able to
        back down.

        Also, in the United States, many vets and
        cardiologists believe that diuretic treatment should
        be accompanied by ACE-inhibitor treatment (benazepril
        or enalapril). Treatment standards are likely
        different in the UK.

        Wishing you and Sascha the best,

        Nala, Camille and Cozette

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.