I don't like this ride anymore, can I get offf!!!

  • Cannon,Kimberly
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=482138/grpspId=1707296857/msgId=
      26713/stime=1170287121/nc1=3848646/nc2=3848443/nc3=4025347>
      __ Q-tip is not having a good day. Her breathing was labored and in the
      30's. I doubled her Salix per the vet and that will most likely fix the
      problem, but these bad d ays are happening more and more. If we could
      control her fluid, she'd live forever, but we keep lapsing into refractory
      CHF and having to go higher and higher with the Salix, and I know that's not
      good for her kidneys. I don;t like this roller coaster. Let me off.

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Kimberly,

        I completely understand. At least 30s isn't all that high but if she's working to breathe, that's not good. How much salix is she on? At about 14 pounds, Pepper takes 60mg (furosemide, but essentially the same thing).

        Maybe it's her other meds that need to be increased. I can't remember what else she's on but I assume she's on a beta-bocker or ace-inhibitor. That would help control the heart rate. It's something to bring up with your vet.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          Kim,

          Try not to get too discouraged. This happens sometimes.

          Baby Boy was the same way -- even when his fluid was 'controlled' he'd still
          have days where I had to double or triple his lasix. Maybe he was a little
          extra playful, maybe the moons of Jupiter were in retrograde ... who knows?
          A day or two at the higher dose, and then back down to his regular dose.

          The thing is, while you may need to up Q's dosage right now, it may not
          necessarily be a permanent thing. Also, adding spiro on top of the lasix
          (can't recall if you are doing this already) works very, very well for
          refractory CHF. In fact, it's recommended for such cats.

          *Hugs* Hang in there!

          Lisa

          On 2/1/07, Cannon,Kimberly <kimberly.cannon@...> wrote:

          > <
          > http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=482138/grpspId=1707296857/msgId=
          > 26713/stime=1170287121/nc1=3848646/nc2=3848443/nc3=4025347>
          > __ Q-tip is not having a good day. Her breathing was labored and in the
          > 30's. I doubled her Salix per the vet and that will most likely fix the
          > problem, but these bad d ays are happening more and more. If we could
          > control her fluid, she'd live forever, but we keep lapsing into refractory
          > CHF and having to go higher and higher with the Salix, and I know that's
          > not
          > good for her kidneys. I don;t like this roller coaster. Let me off.

        • nala nala
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
            Kimberley,

            We are right there with you, fighting at least one
            pretty scary episode every 7-10 days and minor
            episodes another 1 -2x/week.

            My cardiologist goes by 4 mg/kg up to 3x/day for the
            lasix dosing. My regular vet says 4.4 mg/kg up to
            2x/day. Just remember a kg is about 2.2 lbs so divide
            Q-tip's weight by 2.2 to figure out how many pounds he
            is then multiply by 4 to figure a maximum dose.

            For my cat (about 6.6 lbs so 6.6lbs/2.2kg per lb = 3
            kg). 3 kg x 4 mg = 12 mg. So I can give 12 mg 3x/day
            for a total of 36 mg. Currently Cozette is getting
            something like 7.5 mg at 6:30 am, 7.5 mg at 2:30 pm
            and 7.5 mg at 10:30 pm. However, if her respirations
            are really good (18 to 20) I give her 5 mg, and if
            they are elevated (28-32) I give her 10. If they stay
            elevated she gets another 5.

            We have also added hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ - without
            the spironolactone) to her treatment because sometimes
            we can't get her breathing under control even at 35 mg
            lasix. We have only been giving about 3 mg of the
            HCTZ 1x/day at the 10:30 dose because for whatever
            reason, she seems to have problems at night - she will
            be fine at 7 pm and at 9 pm, but suddenly at 10 pm her
            respirations will be creeping up and after treatment
            they start to come down only around 2 am.

            Since my kitty has been having some renal issues, I
            try to make sure she has plenty to drink. I have two
            kitty fountains and if she follows me into the
            bathroom or kitchen I let her drink from the sink. . .
            Her kidney values have been OK for the past month
            despite the larger and larger doses of diuretics. We
            are keeping our fingers crossed.

            Best to you and the Q-tip.

            Nala, Camille and Cozette

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Vickie
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
              Is Q-Tip on Atenolol? If so maybe you need to cut it out.

              I know Baby was having breathing problems, and it was the meds.

              Sorry if this was asked already, I didn't have time to go through all the