Re: [FH] Kitten panting

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi Beverly,

      My Toby with HCM is Persian too. I got him at 12 weeks old and he was diagnosed at 1 yr old (he is almost 5 now), and our breeder too denied that any of her other cats had it. Maybe they did and she didnt tell me, or she didnt know about it if her cats did have it and they didnt show symptoms, or none of her other customers told her about, I will never know. I have read that HCM is more common in Persians though.

      Some extreme faced Persians have sinus issues, but its VERY rare that Persians have trouble breathing and panting because of their flat faces, I'm actually pretty surprised a vet would say that to someone. There are many different spectrums on the 'extreme' faced Persians, and for them to having breathing difficulty because of it, they are usually on the most extreme side - and only then their breathing difficulty is sort of a snorting in their nose, not panting.

      Toby is extreme faced - I posted a couple pics of him in the Photos section on the site. I'm curious how extreme yours is, sorry I dont know his name? Is he more or less extreme than Toby? We havent had any panting with him yet, but he is still asymptomatic.

      I would get an echo done on yours asap. Just listening to the heart alone will not be able to tell much.

      Well its good to "meet" another Persian person! I'm a member of persian-cats.com too and there didnt seem to be anyone there with HCM, which I was surprised since I thought this breed is supposed to be more common with HCM.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
        Cats DO cough with heart issues!!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
          Jennifer,

          I would be very concerned and it's good that you brought him in. I saw that
          Leah suggested asthma or allergies. My Pepper had asthma due to food
          allergies and compared to her, this doesn't sound like that at all.

          Did they at least take an x-ray? This just sounds so strange. I can't
          think of anything that it could be and hope that it's something simple that
          resolves itself.

          Please let us know what happens.

          Sue & Angel Pepper