Kitten panting

  • Beverly Levine
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
      I want to thank everyone who responded, concerning my kitten that is panting with stress/exercise.
      I did speak with my Vet. today who reminded me that my kitten is a Persian show kitten with a very flat nose, and that perhaps his need for air is greater. Wouldn't that be great if that was the reason!
      Well, I am taking him in soon for them to listen to his heart and lungs and we'll go from there.
      His breeder has offered to take him back, as she thinks I am over reacting. She went on to say that neither his mother or fathers side have any heart conditions nor any of their kittens.
      That too is encouraging....but that goes to show you that breeders don't know the first thing about HCM,unfortunately, like all of you do.
      I intend to have him checked thoroughly...and will certainly get back to you with the results.
      Thanks so very much again....to all of you.
      Hugs to you and your precious kitties...
      Bev

    • Beverly Levine
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi everyone,

        I took my 9 months old Persian kitty to the cardiologist today....as I have told you in past posts...he pants when running around a lot.

        I couldn't have asked for better news. I will quote what the cardio wrote "The abnormal rhythm detected by your vet on the ECG was compatible with a left anterior fascicular bundle branch block which we can find in normal cats. This finding is incidental, and the patient will hopefully never develop clinical signs related to this. We have seen these cats progress into AV block, thus future ECG's should be done. We have seen HCM develop this rhythm, but having this rhythm does not mean your cat will develop HCM.

        The heart is not related to the breathing issues, it is likely his upper airway issues, are consistent with the breed. Meaning, because he has such a flat pushed in nose. He did say, I had a smart cat who opens his mouth when he needs more air..as most cats don't.

        I also asked him about my six year old kitty with a heart murmur. He said there was nothing he could give him to stop the progression and therefore there was no hurry in having an echo done as he has no symptoms.

        I have another cat that has been coughing lately...and he said...cats don't cough with heart issues..but it could be asthma.

        I was so worried about the results of the echo...but I knew, I had to find out for sure in case he needed to be put on medication.
        There are no words to describe how relieved I am. I do want to thank you all for encouraging me to take him in for the echo...and although the cost was a lot ....I just had to know.

        I told him, his name is (Jimmy Choo)..he's a red tabby Persian, that he could pant all he needed to and I wasn't going to freak out any more.

        I wonder if anyone has had experience or info that differs from what I was told today...about him..or the others.
        Bev
        Just for the record...the cost was $440 $95 for the consult, 250 for the echo, and $95 for the ECG. The best money I have ever spent!

      • nala nala
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
          Bev,

          So glad that they didn't find major problems with your
          little Persian boy, but an AV block, if it were to
          develop, can be a serious problem. In humans one would
          have a pacemaker implanted, but this is not commonly
          done in cats. I have only seen a handful of reports,
          and in at least two cases, other complications
          developed.

          >I also asked him about my six year old kitty with a
          heart murmur. He >said there was nothing he could give
          him to stop the progression and >therefore there was
          no hurry in having an echo done as he has no
          >symptoms.

          It seems that the veterinary world is full of
          contradictions and opinions, but very few
          well-controlled studies. Many vets and vet cards
          don't believe that heart issues should be explored
          unless there are outward symptoms. Others think that
          a heart murmur is enough of a symptom to explore, and
          that the cat should be examined in order to start
          treatment as soon as possible. The main problem is
          that there aren't very many good studies showing that
          any one treatment actually extends the life of the cat
          or the quality of life of the cat. Also, it is the
          underlying assumption of many vets that there will not
          be owner compliance in following the prescribed
          treatment. Some owners are not willing to medicate
          their cats 2-5 times a day, so that often becomes the
          bias of the treating vet.

          Whether or not you want to have your 6 year old
          examined is up to you. My cat developed her murmur
          somewhere between the ages of 3.5 and 4.5. It was
          caught on her annual exam. At the age of 5.5 we had
          an echo done and found she had very mild HCM. We
          started treatment, but the disease has progressed
          quite rapidly. However, my cat seems to be unusual,
          most cats that my vet. card. has seen remain
          relatively stable over longer periods of time. Just
          keep in mind that the development of a murmur in an
          older cat is never "normal."

          > cat that has been coughing lately...and he
          said...cats don't cough >with heart issues..but it
          could be asthma.

          This is NOT true. Although it is true that dogs with
          heart issues frequently have coughs, and most cats
          with heart issues don't have coughs, it is NOT true
          that cats with coughs DON'T have heart disease.

          It is my understanding that asthma can be diagnosed by
          x-ray, as long as other possibilities are ruled out.
          Others here have asthmatic cats - hopefully they will
          chime in.

          >Just for the record...the cost was $440 . The best
          money I have ever >spent!

          I am so glad you had him checked out. Peace of mind
          is priceless. That is how I felt after I decided to
          have my heart-kitty's litter mate checked out by echo.
          It was a lot of money, but I was soooo relieved.

          Best,

          Nala, Camille and Cozette

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • JAM0467@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
            Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his heart
            disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man into our family
            from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick out which
            kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.

            He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face. Allegedly he
            looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that breed.

            Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I watched for a
            little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open, tongue hanging
            out. Of course, I freaked.

            He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I wondered if
            he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of choking
            or distress, he just kept panting.

            I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in, and one hour
            later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but his heart
            and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having a
            murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)

            Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.

            Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even when panting,
            he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy Feast) and
            everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.

            Thoughts?
            Jennifer

            www.jennamills.com
            THE PERFECT STRANGER, SRS, April 2007 -- an RT BookClub Top Pick!
            A LITTLE BIT GUILTY, SRS, June 2007
            SINS OF THE STORM, SRS, September 2007

          • Leah Ferron
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
              Jennifer,

              I am sorry to hear about Moe. I am glad you saved a kitty, though! Did your vet suspect or say anything about asthma/allergies? That is what first came to mind after heart problems (only because I am a worry wart about that now, go figure). What makes me shy away from the heart problem thought is that the panting lasted so long. Most times when a heart kitty pants after exertion like playing, it doesn't last that long. Once the heart and body calms down so does the breathing. Where as asthma or allergies, once aggrevated can take a while for the inflammation to go down. I don't know what to make of the fever. Please keep us updated.

              I adopted a turskish angora (or so I was told by the shelter). They are a very amiable breed and very loyal. My Callie follows me everywhere and gets into everything, very kitten like even at 2 years old. These are common traits with TAs. If Moe is a TA, he will be a very good family addition. I hope all goes well.

              Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

            • timbysmommy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
                Hi,

                How wonderful that you have a new baby!

                When my baby Timby (Siamese) was just a kitten, we were playing with
                him and he started panting. At the time, I thought he just
                overexerted himself. Well, six years later, he developed a slight
                murmur, which was attributed to anemia (he was in renal failure). He
                died just a few weeks later of heart failure. I now realize that his
                panting as a kitten was a sign that I did not appreciate at the time.
                I won't forgive myself for that one, ever. Maybe if he had been
                diagnosed at the time, he could have gotten on meds and lived longer.
                And on top of all that, when we brought him in when he was in heart
                failure, the vet was POSITIVE that it was not heart disease because
                he had a normal heart on x-ray. And despite my telling her that I did
                not feel it was his asthma acting up, she treated it as asthma. Well,
                5 days after that, he was dead. I would say to go with your gut. If
                you are worried about heart, get the echo. A normal x-ray does not
                rule out heart disease, no matter what a vet might tell you. No
                murmur is certainly good, and I tend to agree with Leah that it might
                be allergy/asthma related, but if you have any smidge of a fear that
                it is heart and you can get the echo, do it. You don't know how many
                times I wish I could rewind the clock and take him in for an echo
                when he had his panting episode.

                Good luck.

                Linda and Li Li

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, JAM0467@... wrote:

                > Hi, all....as you may remember, we lost our dear Simon boy to his
                heart
                > disease in December. Earlier this year, we adopted a new little man
                into our family
                > from one of the shelters....Moe. We let my 3-year old daughter pick
                out which
                > kitty she wanted to "mommy"...and Moe was it.
                >
                > He's a great little guy, gray, fairly long fur, pointy face.
                Allegedly he
                > looks somewhat Turkish Angora, but I don't know much about that
                breed.

                > Anyway. Early this afternoon I noticed him panting. Puzzled, I
                watched for a
                > little while, and it continued. He was layign down, mouth open,
                tongue hanging
                > out. Of course, I freaked.
                >
                > He'd been playing with a little craft-y pompom a bit before, so I
                wondered if
                > he was winded or could have swallowed it. But he showed no signs of
                choking
                > or distress, he just kept panting.
                >
                > I called my vet and they wanted to see him, so I brought Moe in,
                and one hour
                > later...still panting. They determined he had a fever (103.4)...but
                his heart
                > and lungs sounded good. (I was most worried about his heart having
                > murmur....still am worried about his heart, actually.)
                >
                > Currently, Moe remains at the vet for observation.
                >
                > Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on? Even
                when panting,
                > he was still pretty active. He ate this morning (his usual, Fancy
                Feast) and
                > everything else seemed normal. But obviously something is not.
                >
                > Thoughts?
                > Jennifer
              • Belinda
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Linda,

                  I sorry you lost your Timmy, please don't feel bad though, you can
                  only do the best with what you were told and with your vet thinking he
                  was OK with the heart looking normal you had nothing but that to go by.
                  Timmy knows you did the best you could for him and how much you loved
                  him. He is whole and healthy now and with you always and forever in
                  your heart.

                  My Joey did the panting at 5 months of age and I took him to the vet,
                  they did say his heart was shaped funny and he went to a vet collage for
                  many tests. They diagnosed him very, very early HCM. He was put on
                  medication and a year later we moved back here and I had him checked by
                  a feline cardiologist and he said there was no evidence of heart disease
                  and told us to take him off the meds.

                  He is 11 years old now and was diagnosed about a year and a half ago
                  with HCM and has been on 1/4 benazepril daily for the first year and a
                  couple of months, then we upped his dose to 1/2 a pill daily because he
                  still has high BP. Haven't checked his BP again, need to do that soon.
                  He was checked again for his HCM after being on the benazepril for 6
                  months or so and there was very little change, the thickening was very
                  slightly more and the arotia was a tiny bit more dilated. The vet told
                  me that they are finding some cats progress much slower in the disease
                  process and are considered to be progressive HCM.

                  So did he have HCM when he was 5 months old? The cardiologist that
                  checked him when we got back here said probably not, but since he
                  developed it later I have to think he probably did.

                  So from about 1 1/2 years of age when we took him off the meds he was
                  fine, it took 8 1/2 years for it to surface again, although my vet had
                  told me a year before that, that he had a heart murmur, I just didn't at
                  that time grasp the seriousness of the implications of that and she
                  didn't push it.

                  Joey is my life so I'm very upset for not doing something sooner but
                  hopefully it won't have any dire lasting effects. He is also very early
                  CRF and gets 50ccs of fluids once a week.

                  My vet always poop poohs my gut feelings too and because of it my Fred
                  (CRF) has been suffering with an infection for 6 weeks. He is finally
                  recovering and once I run out of the clavamox the vet gave me I am going
                  to keep him on fish mox (very similar to clavamox) for an additional 2
                  or 3 weeks. Each time he has been on it it looked like it was cleared
                  up but within a week it flared back up, this is the 4th time we are
                  fighting the same infection!!!

                  If they don't get their acts together I will be looking for a new one.

                  PS. Joey is a siamese mix :)

                  --

                  Belinda
                  happiness is being owned by cats ...

                  Be-Mi-Kitties
                  http://bemikitties.com
                • timbysmommy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
                    Belinda,

                    Thank you so much for your thoughts and for sharing your story.

                    Very interesting. I tend to think like you, that he probably had it
                    but was stable for most of his life until later. I wonder if the
                    cardiologist took him off the meds because the disease had remissed
                    somehow? I mean the fact that there was no evidence of disease at
                    that time does not mean that it never existed. Maybe it improved with
                    the medication?

                    As far as Joey, please be careful with the fluids for CRF. 50 cc once
                    a week does not sound like a lot. My Timby was on 100 cc every day,
                    and I have no doubt that that hastened his going into heart failure
                    (of course if we had known he had heart diease we would have done the
                    fluids very differently or not at all). But it is a delicate balance.

                    And yes, you gotta go with your gut. If I had, I would have walked
                    right out of that first vet's office. You know your baby better than
                    anyone.

                    Best,

                    Linda and Li Li