As Sue said, the disease progress can be extremely variable -- some cats do
very well for a very long time, others don't. All you can do is give Daisy
the best care you can provide and hope for the best.
The expense in treating this disease is always a concern, and of course has
to be balanced against your other obligations in life. That Daisy has shown
signs of 'smoke' on her echo isn't good, as you know, and puts her at higher
risk for developing a clot.
Aspirin, frankly, is not all that effective in preventing clots in cats. I
was discussing this with one of our vets recently -- she has a friend who's
doing a residency in veterinary cardiology, and the current thinking is that
apsirin is basically useless in terms of clot prevention in cats. They
don't metabolize aspirin very easily, and as a result, the highest dose they
can safely be given isn't enough to have much of an effect on clots.
As for what you should do for Daisy, you have a couple of options. One, you
could try the aspirin. Two, you could shop around to see if you could get a
lower price for plavix -- a lot of us do this. You can often find drugs at
cheaper prices just by going to a different local pharmacy, or by ordering
the meds online. Three, you could try nattokinase, an enzyme derived from
soybeans which is reputed to break up existing clots as opposed to stopping
them higher up the clotting cascade. A month's dose of that is around $30,
and you can get it at places like the Vitamin Shoppe. I used that with Baby
Boy and now with Lilly, though cost wasn't a factor in that decision. Heart
kitties form clots because of impeded blood flow through the heart and
interfering with the clotting cascade, while somewhat helpful, isn't going
to always be enough to prevent clots.
I hope this helps -- good luck to you and Daisy!
On 1/27/07, cuppypuppy99 <lopata9@...> wrote:
> Hello All,
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]