Re: [FH] Valvular Disease - Introducing Daisy
There is no way to guess how long a cat may live with heart disease.
The smoke is a bad thing and plavix (or lovenox) do a great job of helping
to prevent clots. My girl has been on lovenox for several months now and
I'm sure it's made a difference. Both of these drugs are very expensive.
If you can, try to get Daisy to see a veterinary cardiologist (or have you
already?) She probably should be on enalapril.
For now, be sure she's eating a good quality canned food diet and getting
supplements like CoQ10. These will help keep her body stronger.
----- Original Message -----
From: "cuppypuppy99" <lopata9@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:54 PM
Subject: [FH] Valvular Disease - Introducing Daisy
> Hello All,
> My name is Bonnie and I have been a member here for about 3 years after
> my favorite cat Karoo died unexpectedly. After much research I had
> figured out that he had been in congestive heart failure and I didn't
> even know it (long story).
> Anyway, I just came back from the vet with my cat Daisy (female) who is
> 6 years old. She had an echo done and was found to have valvular
> disease. Her murmur went from a II in June to a IV today.
> The Dr. really didn't say too much about prognosis, etc. except that
> she may be able to live a couple of years on medication. I do know
> that there was smoke on the echo and from reading all the posts on this
> group, I knew immediately that this was bad. Her LV measurement is
> 14.3 mm. Does anyone know what the normal measurement is? She was
> prescribed Plavix and may be put on enalapril if her bloodwork is ok.
> I went to get the Plavix prescription filled and it was $71 for a
> month, so I called the Dr. back to get the dosage for asprin instead,
> which she gave me as 1/2 81 mg tablet twice per week.
> Does anyone in this group have any experience with this disease? I am
> just wondering how long she may really have left. The Dr. said she
> could throw a clot anytime, and after reading all the posts here, I
> know that this is very painful and I will probably have to make a tough
> decision about what to do if and when this does happen.
> Any suggestions / comments would be very helpful. I would like to
> prepare myself for the worst case scenario while hoping for the best!
> Thanks for your time.
> Bonnie & Daisy