Medicating Joey

  • kstoleson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2007
      Hi,

      My little boy Joey (almost 2 years old) was just diagnosed with HCM.
      When he was in for his checkup, the vet heard a level 3 murmur, so I
      asked that he be checked for HCM. (I just suddenly lost my 10 year
      old baby girl Libby to HCM in November, and still haven't gotten
      over it.) Joey does indeed have it. The vet said he is asymptomatic,
      but I wonder if his tendency towards napping most of the day is a
      symptom... He is also overweight, so maybe that has something to do
      with the frequent napping.

      Joey is a very nervous boy, and can't stand any type of change. The
      vet was able to get me his medication in liquid form, but I can't
      get it in him. It seems as though he will have a nervous breakdown
      every time I try. (Never had this much trouble with any other cats.)
      I have tried to trick him by mixing it in with different foods, but
      he smells it. Does anyone have any tricks to make medicating cats
      easier on the poor cat? I am hoping to trick it into him before I
      settle down to the twice daily ritual that stresses him out so
      much...

      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
      Kathy
    • pharosmommy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2007
        Hi Kathy, I am sorry to hear about your 2 kitties. I have a 2 1/2
        year old with severe HCM. He takes a lot of meds. My little boy
        LOVES treats, so I get the Whisker Lickens moist treats and hide the
        pills in there. I cut the pills in half and sometimes quarters. He
        has recently gotten sick of the Whisker Lickens, so I've been using
        "Pill Pockets". You can buy them in the pet stores. They come in
        several flavors. They mold around the pill very easily. I do 2 pills
        per 1 pill pocket. If you can't get the liquids in him maybe try
        this. Good luck and keep us posted.
        Love,
        Andrea & Pharo
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
          Kathy,

          Hello and welcome to you and Joey. I am sorry to hear about Joey's condition but glad you found us. I am also very sorry to hear of your loss of Libby. We lose too many to sudden attacks like Libby had. Cardiomyopathy is just a cruel disease.

          I saw that you got some answers already to your question so I won't repeat but I have some questions for you. Did Joey have an echocardiogram for his diagnosis of HCM? Are you seeing a cardiologist? If not, we recommend both an echo and cardiologist, if possible. If you need help with either of these things, let us know. Is Joey on any medication for the HCM? Sometimes it is prescribed when they are asymptomatic and sometimes not. In either case we recommend supplements for kitties with heart disease such as CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and others to help hopefully slow the progression of the disease. If you want some more info on supplements just email me. We also recommend a good quality canned diet too. If you need more info on what is good just post a question. You will get some good answers.

          We hope that Joey keeps doing well and should you have any questions, please feel free to post them. Even if you think your question isn't heart related, it often is, so ask us anything. We are glad you two are here!

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec