Re: I'm going CRAZY...can't get Pharo out of CHF...again!

  • jen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      Andrea,

      I so sorry to hear that Pharo is having such a tough time. It is
      such a balancing act with these guys.

      There is a cardinal rule in medicine - treat the patient - not the
      numbers, xray, machine etc. Sometimes they need more than we think
      they should. This being said, dosages should be closely monitored by
      a vet - have you asked his cardiologist about increasing his lasix
      and max doses?

      Another medication to ask about is nitroglyercin. We use this almost
      exclusively in human medicine now for congestive heart failure, lasix
      has fallen completely out of favour. The problem is figuring out the
      dose (I know it's ironic) It only comes in a paste which can be
      applied to the ear; the other delivery methods are not useful for
      cats.

      My HCM kitty Deagan takes more than the average human adult dose of
      Atenolol every day; it is the correct dose for him because his heart
      is reversing the changes and his murmur is dropped dramatically since
      he started it 3 years ago.

      Good luck and hugs for Pharo,
      jen and the gang

      Deagan 4 yo DSH asymptomatic. Atenolol 25 mg twice daily. Murmur
      down to II from VI in 2003.