Re: [FH] I'm going CRAZY...can't get Pharo out of CHF...again!

  • pharosmommy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      How can you tell if a kitty is dehydrated? Pharo eats only wet food
      and drinks a lot! Pharo is doing better today. We are only taking
      our normal dose of 50mg of lasix today. I have a call into my vet to
      ask about the spiro HCTZ. I'm thinking that might help. I am also
      going to take him in for an x-ray.
      Love,
      Andrea & Pharo
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        Andrea,

        There are several ways. Look at Pharo's gums. If they are normally pink, then are they pink or whitish? Pink is good, whitish is dehydrated. If his gums are black, then do the feel test. Are they slick or tacky? Slick good, tacky dehydrated. You can also gently pull up the skin on the nape of his neck. Does it bounce back or slowly go back into place? Fast good, slow dehydrated. The vet can also tell with bloodwork if they are dehydrated.

        I think it is a good idea to have an x-ray. With Pharo's condition, an x-ray should probably be a monthly thing for him. I had to do this with Angel Alec and within a month's time things changed from being retained in the lungs to outside the lungs with chyle. Although counting his breathing gives a pretty good indicator of fluid, an x-ray will tell you for sure and where it is accumulating.

        Please keep us updated on how you and Pharo are doing!

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • nala nala
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
          Andrea,

          There are a few things that I check for dehydration.

          First, I look at my cat's eyes to see if they look
          sunken in - Cozette looks like she has bags under her
          eyes or some dirt under her eyes when she doesn't feel
          well from being dehydrated. At times her eyes look
          kind of dull.

          Next I feel her gums, but I need to make sure she
          didn't just drink water. If they feel rubbery or
          tacky instead of slick and smooth that indicates
          dehydration. I usually do this test whenever I am
          pilling her or if I am giving her cheek rubs. Her
          gums have felt tacky even when her eyes have not been
          sunken in.

          Finally, I gently pinch up some of the excess skin
          around her neck and see whether it snaps back into
          place or stays pinched and very slowly goes back into
          place. The cat's skin should snap back. For my cat,
          she has never been so severely dehydrated that her
          skin didn't go back relatively quickly. When in
          doubt, I compare her to her sister (the control cat!)
          or I pinch up some of the skin on the back of my hand
          to see how quickly it goes back.

          Good luck with the vet and I am glad that he is doing
          better today.

          Nala

          --- pharosmommy <pharosmommy@...> wrote:

          > How can you tell if a kitty is dehydrated? Pharo
          > eats only wet food
          > and drinks a lot! Pharo is doing better today. We
          > are only taking
          > our normal dose of 50mg of lasix today. I have a
          > call into my vet to
          > ask about the spiro HCTZ. I'm thinking that might
          > help. I am also
          > going to take him in for an x-ray.
          > Love,
          > Andrea & Pharo

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
            Andrea,

            I so sorry to hear that Pharo is having such a tough time. It is
            such a balancing act with these guys.

            There is a cardinal rule in medicine - treat the patient - not the
            numbers, xray, machine etc. Sometimes they need more than we think
            they should. This being said, dosages should be closely monitored by
            a vet - have you asked his cardiologist about increasing his lasix
            and max doses?

            Another medication to ask about is nitroglyercin. We use this almost
            exclusively in human medicine now for congestive heart failure, lasix
            has fallen completely out of favour. The problem is figuring out the
            dose (I know it's ironic) It only comes in a paste which can be
            applied to the ear; the other delivery methods are not useful for
            cats.

            My HCM kitty Deagan takes more than the average human adult dose of
            Atenolol every day; it is the correct dose for him because his heart
            is reversing the changes and his murmur is dropped dramatically since
            he started it 3 years ago.

            Good luck and hugs for Pharo,
            jen and the gang

            Deagan 4 yo DSH asymptomatic. Atenolol 25 mg twice daily. Murmur
            down to II from VI in 2003.