Re: [FH] Stressed, must vent, I am evil. I WANT TO GO ON A TRIP!!!!!!

  • adawson1971@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      With my CHF kitty who I felt needed to be monitored for signs of distress round the clock, I boarded at his vet's office. It was for about 10 days. He apparently had such a good time there being the center of attention to a captive audience, he resented coming home to just me. (The vet techs seemed reluctant to let him go and well the resentment seemed to last only three days).

      With my asthma kitty, who was stable, I had a cat sitter come in 2 times a day to medicated and check in for the week I was gone.

      Annette

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
        I know exactly what you are saying relative to being a caregiver and
        the stresses. There is guilt but if we are feeling stress then we
        can't be the best caregiver we can be.

        Can you board at your vet? If not, can you ask if one of their vet
        techs petsits on the side. Or call your local animal shelter/Humane
        society and see if any of their employees pet sit on the side. They
        would be the most apt to have experience giving meds and experience
        with emergency situations and 'challenging' pets.

        I put traveling on hold for several years for my furkids. It was
        really rough since I love to travel. I just called a friend this
        weekend asking if she wanted to go away for two days out of state and
        I was feeling the guilt creeping in, like I either didn't deserve it
        or shouldn't be wanting to have a good time so soon after Max and
        Jesse's deaths.

        As I learned when my father was caring for my grandmother, it's
        important for the caregiver to give care to themselves, too.

        Shar