Re: [FH] Stressed, must vent, I am evil. I WANT TO GO ON A TRIP!!!!!!

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      Its all personal choice how much time or vacations or whatever we choose to give up for our pets health. Me personally, I would never completely put my life on hold for one of my furkids, however I will to a certain extent. I will spend countless hours researching, bringing them to 10 different vets if I have to, drive 2 1/2 hours up to Tufts so I can know I'm going to the best and be there to witness Toby's ultrasounds, homecook my CRF dog's meals, but I just cant say I'm not going on so and so trip because Toby needs his medication, heck, I need to have a life too! Either way you would have regret. Regret about a missed great opportunity, or regret about not being with your pets. But I know my pets would also want me to be happy too, even if it means leaving them for a week, they know I will always return home to them.

      I got married last May, and my cat Benji had a urinary obstruction 3 days before the wedding. I didnt know what I was going to do, how I would go on and be happy, even have a great time when I was sick with worry, knowing he had to be hospitalized on an IV, a catheter, feeling absolutely miserable and at any time he could block again. But I had to get married and go on a 2 week honeymoon thousands of miles away to Hawaii! I know thats a really extreme case, but life must go on.

      Benji stayed at a 24 hour hospital that had boarding capabilities the whole time I was a away. That is terrible the petsitter told other sitters about the biting, maybe something like I did can be an option for you too? It wasnt too expensive (not much more than a petsitter anyway), they were great to him there, played with him, gave him attention, plus he got the medical attention he needed, and I was able to call at any hour of the day to see how he was doing.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        With my CHF kitty who I felt needed to be monitored for signs of distress round the clock, I boarded at his vet's office. It was for about 10 days. He apparently had such a good time there being the center of attention to a captive audience, he resented coming home to just me. (The vet techs seemed reluctant to let him go and well the resentment seemed to last only three days).

        With my asthma kitty, who was stable, I had a cat sitter come in 2 times a day to medicated and check in for the week I was gone.

        Annette

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
          I know exactly what you are saying relative to being a caregiver and
          the stresses. There is guilt but if we are feeling stress then we
          can't be the best caregiver we can be.

          Can you board at your vet? If not, can you ask if one of their vet
          techs petsits on the side. Or call your local animal shelter/Humane
          society and see if any of their employees pet sit on the side. They
          would be the most apt to have experience giving meds and experience
          with emergency situations and 'challenging' pets.

          I put traveling on hold for several years for my furkids. It was
          really rough since I love to travel. I just called a friend this
          weekend asking if she wanted to go away for two days out of state and
          I was feeling the guilt creeping in, like I either didn't deserve it
          or shouldn't be wanting to have a good time so soon after Max and
          Jesse's deaths.

          As I learned when my father was caring for my grandmother, it's
          important for the caregiver to give care to themselves, too.

          Shar