Re: enlarged heart/fluid around heart

  • pharosmommy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi Robin, I have a 2 1/2 year old kitty with a severley enlarged
      heart. One thing I have noticed since he was a kitten, he has had
      several fevers. The major one was after his 2nd rabies shot (the one
      after they give as a baby). He got really sick and had a fever of
      105. The doctors couldn't figure out why this happened and I totally
      associate it with his heart disease. He wasn't diagnoised at the
      time. He got better for a couple of days after spending 3 days in the
      hospital with fluid. When he came home the fever shot up again and he
      got really tired and didn't want to move. They ended up giving him
      prednizone which, come to find out now, is terrible for heart kitties.
      After about 2 weeks of this he finally got better. If your kitty has
      heart disease I believe it's very possible for other things to make
      him sick as well. Pharo has been sort of sickly all his short life.
      If your kitty has HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy -enlarged heart) he
      was probably born with it...like my little guy. Anyway, I hope this
      helps. Go get your baby checked out by a Cardiologist and have and
      ultrasound done. Don't take any chances because this disease can be
      controlled to a certain extent. Pharo was just diagnosed in August
      with HCM. As a kitten they told me he had a grade 2 heart murmur, but
      not to worry about it...but now he is severe, so it can progress fast.
      Good luck with your baby...you've come to the right place!
      Love,
      Andrea & Pharo