Re: [FH] enlarged heart/fluid around heart

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2006
      Robin,

      I agree with Leah about being concerned about his symptoms. I've also never
      heard of a fever associated with heart disease. When my girl first went to
      the vet with congestive heart failure, they told me that she either had
      pneumonia or cancer. All three look a lot alike on x-rays and that was a
      vet with little experience with heart disease. If a vet doesn't have
      experience, they could make some very wrong guesses that could have very
      serious consequences. I'm very lucky my girl is still with me due to just
      that.

      If your cat has heart disease, then it sounds like he's in congestive heart
      failure (CHF). CHF is a symptom of heart disease. The heart cannot keep up
      with the blood and fluid coming through because both halves of the heart can
      no longer push through the same capacity. The body compensates by leaching
      the backed up fluid either into the lungs or the chest cavity. The pressure
      of that fluid (the congestion) prevents the lungs and heart from functioning
      properly (the failure).

      If a cat has CHF then he needs to be on diuretics and heart medications to
      slow down his heart and allow it to work more effectively. If the CHF is
      bad, then he should be on IV diuretics and on oxygen.

      He does need to eat. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple days - especially if
      they tend to be overweight - then they're at risk for hepatic lipidoses
      (fatty liver disease) which can be fatal in itself. As Leah said, please
      check out the Feline Assisted Feeding Yahoo group -
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

      If you don't know where there's an emergency vet in your area, look for one
      here - http://www.pets911.com/services/emergency/index.php

      My girl has both heart disease and asthma and she always does that
      exaggerated swallowing. Nobody can explain it. Her cardiologist says he
      thinks it's a symptom of asthma but I really think it's somehow associated
      with the heart disease. As it's gotten worse, so has the swallowing. Her
      asthma is stable without medication.

      Keep an eye on his respiration. A normal rate is around 20-35 or
      thereabouts. Watch how often he breathes when he's resting / not purring.
      That may be difficult if he's upset or in pain since that will make it
      faster. Also watch how much his sides move in & out. If that increases,
      then it might be time for the emergency vet.

      Hang in there - we're all behind you!

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Robin, I have a 2 1/2 year old kitty with a severley enlarged
        heart. One thing I have noticed since he was a kitten, he has had
        several fevers. The major one was after his 2nd rabies shot (the one
        after they give as a baby). He got really sick and had a fever of
        105. The doctors couldn't figure out why this happened and I totally
        associate it with his heart disease. He wasn't diagnoised at the
        time. He got better for a couple of days after spending 3 days in the
        hospital with fluid. When he came home the fever shot up again and he
        got really tired and didn't want to move. They ended up giving him
        prednizone which, come to find out now, is terrible for heart kitties.
        After about 2 weeks of this he finally got better. If your kitty has
        heart disease I believe it's very possible for other things to make
        him sick as well. Pharo has been sort of sickly all his short life.
        If your kitty has HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy -enlarged heart) he
        was probably born with it...like my little guy. Anyway, I hope this
        helps. Go get your baby checked out by a Cardiologist and have and
        ultrasound done. Don't take any chances because this disease can be
        controlled to a certain extent. Pharo was just diagnosed in August
        with HCM. As a kitten they told me he had a grade 2 heart murmur, but
        not to worry about it...but now he is severe, so it can progress fast.
        Good luck with your baby...you've come to the right place!
        Love,
        Andrea & Pharo