Re: [FH] Stressed, must vent, I am evil. I WANT TO GO ON A TRIP!!!!!!

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      Kimberly,

      I think you're having a very normal reaction and you're definitely not evil!
      I can completely sympathyze. Pepper gets meds 5x daily and I do them all.
      I've been doing this for over two years so my social life is very limited.
      I never resent it but sometimes just feel so tired.

      Can you talk to you vet and have them recommend a tech to care for her?
      Plus there are organizations of pet sitters that you could check out
      http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links2.html#sitter

      Sue

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        "Caretaking" can be very stressful, nomatter how much you love the animal, or the person for that matter. There are even books written about it. It's hard to strike that balance, or to not feel guilty when we wish the burden was less.

        When Max passed away, I felt a "relief" in terms of my schedule (and also my expenses) , which brought on a crazy amount of guilt...as if I didn't really love him, or wanted him gone, which is totally rediculous. Feeling great love and commitment, and also feeling burdened seem to co-exist. Even our beloved animals don't get a saint for a care-giver; they get a human being; one with other needs, wants, and responsibilites. It's not easy.

        Still...my feeling was (and is) that I had very limited time in this world to spend with Max. I think if they're stable, leaving them with someone very capable is okay. If they're not doing as well, I wouldn't leave them unless absolutely necessary.
        Sadly, they just won't be here forever. Even healthy animals live so short a life compared to ours. Jus' my thoughts.

        http://www.eset.com

      • Made4PraiseKLD@Aol.Com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
          Kimberly,

          While reading this a thought crossed my mind, however I don't know if it is
          possible. It may not work for this trip, but it may in the future. Have you
          thought about talking with your vet about other patients they may have with
          the same condition as yours? Maybe all of you could get together and
          organize a "group" cat sitting program. Since all of you are dealing with the same
          illness, you would be familiar with what needs to be done, and it would give
          all of you a break without worrying that your baby wasn't getting the care it
          needed.

          Karen, Smokey, Sebastian, Sabrina, and Angel's Trixie, Wildfire and Lynx.

        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
            My Mittens had CRF and HCM for 3 1/2 years. During that time, I was never
            away from the house for more than 6 hours. With our houseful of cats, we've
            given up on vacations; the last time we were away was in 1998. But we love
            our home, which is in the country on 35 acres of woods, and we have wild
            birds and animals in our yard. So we don't feel we're giving up much by
            staying home.

            Linda

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
              I am sorry that you are so stressed out - but I can relate - I have many
              cats that I rescue - and lots of them do have a special need - I
              recently lost 6 of my kitties to FIP and one kitty to Felk (within the
              past 6 months) - I literally was losing one after the other before I had
              a chance to cry and it has been very devastating and stressful as you
              can imagin, there has not been a week that I did not go to a vet.. felt
              like I was losing my mind from anger and sadness of losing them and also
              feeling of my life out of being control..

              I hope that you can find someone whom you can rely on to take care of
              your baby - and please know that your baby really appreciates you taking
              good care of her --- but you also need to take care of yourself.. where
              do you live? I wish I lived near you so that I could come to take care
              of your baby while you are away :-) -- I live in NM - (and yes have
              about 1 foot snow in my yard !!)

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                Its all personal choice how much time or vacations or whatever we choose to give up for our pets health. Me personally, I would never completely put my life on hold for one of my furkids, however I will to a certain extent. I will spend countless hours researching, bringing them to 10 different vets if I have to, drive 2 1/2 hours up to Tufts so I can know I'm going to the best and be there to witness Toby's ultrasounds, homecook my CRF dog's meals, but I just cant say I'm not going on so and so trip because Toby needs his medication, heck, I need to have a life too! Either way you would have regret. Regret about a missed great opportunity, or regret about not being with your pets. But I know my pets would also want me to be happy too, even if it means leaving them for a week, they know I will always return home to them.

                I got married last May, and my cat Benji had a urinary obstruction 3 days before the wedding. I didnt know what I was going to do, how I would go on and be happy, even have a great time when I was sick with worry, knowing he had to be hospitalized on an IV, a catheter, feeling absolutely miserable and at any time he could block again. But I had to get married and go on a 2 week honeymoon thousands of miles away to Hawaii! I know thats a really extreme case, but life must go on.

                Benji stayed at a 24 hour hospital that had boarding capabilities the whole time I was a away. That is terrible the petsitter told other sitters about the biting, maybe something like I did can be an option for you too? It wasnt too expensive (not much more than a petsitter anyway), they were great to him there, played with him, gave him attention, plus he got the medical attention he needed, and I was able to call at any hour of the day to see how he was doing.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
                  With my CHF kitty who I felt needed to be monitored for signs of distress round the clock, I boarded at his vet's office. It was for about 10 days. He apparently had such a good time there being the center of attention to a captive audience, he resented coming home to just me. (The vet techs seemed reluctant to let him go and well the resentment seemed to last only three days).

                  With my asthma kitty, who was stable, I had a cat sitter come in 2 times a day to medicated and check in for the week I was gone.

                  Annette

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
                    I know exactly what you are saying relative to being a caregiver and
                    the stresses. There is guilt but if we are feeling stress then we
                    can't be the best caregiver we can be.

                    Can you board at your vet? If not, can you ask if one of their vet
                    techs petsits on the side. Or call your local animal shelter/Humane
                    society and see if any of their employees pet sit on the side. They
                    would be the most apt to have experience giving meds and experience
                    with emergency situations and 'challenging' pets.

                    I put traveling on hold for several years for my furkids. It was
                    really rough since I love to travel. I just called a friend this
                    weekend asking if she wanted to go away for two days out of state and
                    I was feeling the guilt creeping in, like I either didn't deserve it
                    or shouldn't be wanting to have a good time so soon after Max and
                    Jesse's deaths.

                    As I learned when my father was caring for my grandmother, it's
                    important for the caregiver to give care to themselves, too.

                    Shar