Re: [FH] hello!

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
      Phyllis, Benjamin, Sophie and Sherman,

      Don't freak out about all you are reading! When each of us that have gone through a cardiomyopathy diagnosis did reading, we all freaked out. It is not worth it. Being mindful of the possibilities is great but if your kitties have HCM, there is nothing you can do to prevent that from happening. I think Maine Coons are a breed that has been hburt by HCM because of bad breeding in part. I think it may be good that yours are mixes to bring different blood to the lines.

      As far as pet insurance, I did some research on the subject and I think the way you are approaching it is better. Insurance can be quite pricey and depending on the type and coverage, an echo may be covered but probably not as an elective. Pet insurance is best for emergencies. So if you know you are going to have an emergency (i.e. you are psychic) then get pet insurance or if you know that your pet will have over a 50% chance of getting an inherited documented defect (which you don't). Am I being to cynical? I am down on all insurance companies (a necessary evil) but I think pet insurance is a very big racket! So I usually recommend against it. But that is just my opinion.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      Phyllis <plklein12@...> wrote:
      Hi Leah
      Thank you for the nice welcome. My kittens are under 6 months old, so I'm not sure I want to go for the Echo quite yet. But I am a bit freaked about all the information I've read. Just how prevalent is this disease among Maine Coons? I thought it was a small minority, but it sounds more common than I thought??

      Are echocardiogram's covered by medical insurance? I opted out of getting it for my kitties (in lieu of a savings account that I contribute just for their medical care), but now am wondering if that was a bad decision (I can easily reverse it)

      My MC-mixes are Benjamin and Sophie. My other little guy is Sherman.
      Phyllis