Vets in NYC

  • brunobaby
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2001
      Hi, Jen, and welcome.

      We're also in NYC. Our vet is The Cat Practice in NYC. Our cardiologists
      have included Dr. Kramer from Long Island, and the cardiology team at the
      Animal Medical Center.

      Our boy cat, Pongo, died of heart failure at the age of 16.5 back in March
      after a 20-month battle with HCM. He was only expected to live three to six
      months after diagnosis and fooled everybody, having a great quality of life
      almost to the very end.

      Pongo's twin sister, Phoebe, is alive and well. The vet discovered a heart
      murmur in February during a routine check-up and T4 (Phoebe is mildly
      hyperthyroid.) Since the HCM gene is believed to be inherited, the vet
      ordered an echocardiagram immediately.

      The murmur turned out to be a mild enlargement on the right side of the
      heart, considered a "condition" and not a disease. The left side
      enlargement is the one you have to be concerned about -- that's
      Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) and is considered a progressive
      muscle-wasting disease.

      Not all murmurs are dangerous, but the vet said that often you get no
      warning at all with HCM, so when they hear a murmur, they jump on it.

      BTW, Pongo had had a mild murmur when he was young, about your Fred's age,
      and it went away a couple of months later. No further heart trouble until
      he was an old man, and then the HCM was detected by a "gallop rhythm," not
      a murmur. Hopefully, by the time Fred is an old man, treatments and
      possibly cures for heart diseases will be even further advanced than they
      are now.

      --Melinda