Re: [FH] Advice on Blood Clots

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2006
      Melissa,

      Yes, this sounds like heart disease and most likely HCM. Spooky would be
      best if he could go see a veterinary cardiologist ASAP. They would know
      what medications to give and be able to determine the subtleties of what's
      going on with his heart by doing an echocardiogram (ECG). That's an
      ultrasound of the moving heart.

      Cardiologist links:
      http://www.acvim.org/index.aspx?id=86
      http://www.cavalierhealth.org/Cardiologists.htm

      Once a cat throws a clot - especially a saddle thrombosis - they're at high
      risk for a repeat.

      There are a few options with blood clots. He could go to the vet and be
      treated with IV heparin. That should help break down any existing clots.
      To prevent more clots from forming, many vets prescribe one baby aspirin
      every 3 days. The drawbacks are that there aren't any real studies done on
      the efficacy of aspirin for treating blood clots in cats and it will often
      upset their stomachs. That said, a lot of people do use aspirin. Other
      options are plavix (a pill) or lovenox (a sub-q injection). I use lovenox.
      It's very expensive.

      Other medications are a beta-blocker and/or ace-inhibitor. They both lower
      blood pressure and ease the stress on the heart. Often, diuretics are also
      used but not all cats need them.

      Once Spooky is stablized, we can talk about giving supplements like CoQ10
      and being sure he's on a good-quality canned food diet.

      I'm guessing that you're in college. If that's so, you might qualify for
      some financial assistance from one of these groups -
      http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links.html#finance

      For now, concentrate on getting Spooky back to the vet and ignore the tales
      of gloom and doom that are out on the internet. While heart disease is
      serious and does kill, cats can often live with it for quite a while.

      Take care of yourself too!!!

      Sue