Giving kitties their pills

  • baba_bear_5
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
      Does anyone have advice about the best way to give kitties their
      pills? Tooter was really good about taking them when he got back from
      the hospital, but lately he's really been fighting them. The vet
      suggested using empty gel caps but I can't seem to find them
      anywhere. We've also been using a little squirt of water in his mouth
      to encourage him to swallow. Lately, though, it's really becoming a
      struggle and I feel like he's getting mad at me (silly as that may
      sound!). Any tried and true methods I could try?

      Thanks! Jessica and Tooter
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2006
        Jessica,

        The method that worked for my Angel Alec was smooshing the pills into soft cat treats. Alec loved treats and hated being pilled so it was the only choice for me. He would come and get me at 7am and 7pm for his medi-treats, as I called them, everyday. It was our time together too because I would make a big deal of his eating the treat with lots of pets and kisses. That's just what worked for me but there are lots of ways to get the job done without stressing out the kitty, as I am sure others will tell you about.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec