Opinions/Advise Requested

  • Made4PraiseKLD@Aol.Com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      My 18 year old HCM kitty, Smokey has been mostly asymptomatic since her
      diagnosis in July. She is on Diltiazem, (7.5mg twice a day), baby aspirin, (1/2
      tablet every 3rd day) and supplements (thanks Leah). Over the weekend I have
      noticed a change in her. Nothing really severe, although I did call the
      emergency clinic, which is over an hour away, and did speak with a vet. He was
      very nice and said that unless I noticed any life threatening changes, that
      he would recommend that I just watch her and take her to my vet on Monday to
      save me the trip and the cost. I will call my vet when they open this morning
      to schedule an appointment, and I thought that if I let y'all know what was
      going on, I could get some advise/opinions on what might be happening and
      have an idea on what to ask/talk with my vet about.

      Smokey still appears to be eating normally and the same amount that she
      normally eats, it is mostly can, however I do leave a bowl of dry down just in
      case she does eat all the can and wants something else before I get home from
      work. Litter box habits haven't changed and everything appears normal there.
      The changes I see are in her personality and walking. She has become more
      "clingy" the last couple of days, always wanted to be with me, and even
      laying on me. She normally wants to be around me, but now when I come into the
      room that she is in, she is right there wanting me to pick her up and cuddle.
      If I am sitting she is in my lap, if I am lying in bed, no matter which way
      she is laying on me. The other is her walking. When she was diagnosed with
      HCM it was due to a saddle thrombosis. Then when she walked she more or less
      dragged her left leg, now she is not actually dragging it, however it looks
      weaker than her right and it seems that when she walks, the leg collapses on
      her. Also when she is standing or walking she is leaning towards the right.
      This morning when I took her into the kitchen with me and let her walk she
      wanted to be right next to a wall or something to lean on and if she couldn't
      then she seemed to wobble and would then sit for a minute or so and then
      continue on. I noticed no change in breathing. Yesterday her heart rate was in
      the normal range, 136. I didn't take it this morning.

      So anything anyone can think of regarding this I would sure appreciate it.
      My vet is very willing to listen to me and form a plan of treatment that is
      best for Smokey.

      Karen, Smokey, Sebastian, Sabrina and Angel's Trixie and Wildfire.

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        Karen,

        Definitely take her back to the vet. I always say follow your gut. I will say that I don't like aspirin for clot prevention. Ask your vet for something better like plavix or lovenox (sp?, Sue is this what Pepper is on?). If they won't do it, I recommend Nattokinase. I used it on my Angel Alec and he never had a clot even though he was at a great risk. I used 50mg of Natto per day. It is a small little pill that can easily be hidden in a treat or just pilled. Smokey's symptoms suggest something to do with a clot in my opinion.

        As far as behavior/attitude, my Angel Alec was always a love bug until he got sick, then not so much. It hurt my feelings but I had to tell myself it wasn't about me. When they are sick, their behavior often changes. So Smokey could be telling you things aren't right.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • nala nala
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          Dear Karen,

          I agree with you, Smokey should be checked out.
          Change in behavior like that makes it sound like
          something is wrong.

          The brother of my two girls gets clingy (velcro kitty)
          when he doesn't feel well.

          I don't have good ideas regarding Smokey being
          off-balance and wobbly other than after effects of the
          first saddle thrombosis, or a new one that isn't
          causing as severe of a restriciton on blood flow, but
          these are merely guesses.

          Good luck this morning with your vet.

          Nala

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited