Re: [FAF] OT: Candles

  • SThoyre
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Linda,
      Thank you for the reminder. Indeed, this is not an empty warning. A few years ago, my Ariel, who usually has an abundance of common sense, actually singed her fur quite badly one Christmas. We had a candle burning on top of a table. Normally, this is not a table she could get to, but we had things moved around b/c of the holidays and there was now a way for her to get up there. Thankfully, I happened to be in the room when she walked very very close to it -- kind of smoothing up towards it -- but even though I was right there, by the time I got to her, she had gotten close enough to the candle to singe a good deal of fur on her flank, and I do believe that I had not been close by to pull her away immediately, the outcome could have been far more serious.

      Stacey

      Linda Fischbach <fischbl@...> wrote:
      So often we say we will light a candle for a sick cat or a cat who has crossed. But candles can be dangerous, especially with cats running around. This is the time of the year that stores sell battery-operated and electric candles. So I'm going to buy one, and I'll be able to "light a candle" safely.

      Linda

      .

    • Leslie Lawther
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
        *We buy the big candles at Yankee Candle in the glass jar. They (Yankee
        Candle) sell covers for the candles that nicely cover the top and keep tails
        safely out and away from the flame. We've been using these and have no
        trouble with candles (I love them). Might be a nice alternative for those
        who love candles like we do... yet want to keep our fur-kids safe!*
        *Leslie =^..^=*

        On 12/3/06, SThoyre <sthoyre@...> wrote:

        > Linda,
        > Thank you for the reminder. Indeed, this is not an empty warning. A few
        > years ago, my Ariel, who usually has an abundance of common sense, actually
        > singed her fur quite badly one Christmas. We had a candle burning on top of
        > a table. Normally, this is not a table she could get to, but we had things
        > moved around b/c of the holidays and there was now a way for her to get up
        > there. Thankfully, I happened to be in the room when she walked very very
        > close to it -- kind of smoothing up towards it -- but even though I was
        > right there, by the time I got to her, she had gotten close enough to the
        > candle to singe a good deal of fur on her flank, and I do believe that I had
        > not been close by to pull her away immediately, the outcome could have been
        > far more serious.
        >
        > Stacey
        >

        > Linda Fischbach <fischbl@... <fischbl%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
        > So often we say we will light a candle for a sick cat or a cat who has
        > crossed. But candles can be dangerous, especially with cats running around.
        > This is the time of the year that stores sell battery-operated and electric
        > candles. So I'm going to buy one, and I'll be able to "light a candle"
        > safely.
        >
        > Linda
        >
        > .

        Leslie =^..^=

        To leave the world a better place - whether by a healthy child, a garden
        patch, or an improved social condition - that is to have succeeded. That
        only one life breathed easier because you lived - that is success.
        ---Ralph Waldo Emerson