Re: [FH] suggestions for tasty treats?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
      Hi Michelle,

      In a message dated 12/1/06 7:40:09 PM, mkratchman@... writes:

      > I just wanted to see what kind of treats you all give?
      >
      > I use treats very sparingly...since cats don't really have a concept of
      "treat"...and only to encourage desirable behavior (scratching a post instead of
      the sofa) or help the cat associate something positive with a perceived negative
      (eg ear cleaning).

      But when I do, I give Halo's Liv-A-Littles or Whole Life Pet. Both have 100%
      dehydrated meat or fish products, with no grains, no fillers, no additives.
      (Some WLP have other ingredients.)

      > I have never
      > really given any to either of my cats (in 13years), but since Thumper
      > gets sad about going to the doctor all the time now, i thought it
      > would be a nice treat for him.

      Yes, nice idea.

      > I'm asking specifically about if there are any fresh treats, rather
      > than processed/dried types.

      If you want to give fresh food, you can give a little cube of raw chicken,
      turkey, veal, beef, buffalo, etc. Or, occasionally, a bit of goat cheese or goat
      yoghurt. Another option, depending on your comfort level, is thawed frozen
      whole prey, eg pinkie mice, which are available at animal supply stores that
      cater to snake caregivers for about $1/ea. // Rosemary