Re: [feline-heart] Widgie has HCM

  • masaidit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2001
      Hi Z,

      Sorry to hear about Widgie :(

      Please know that you have found a great group and I'm sure you'll get lots of help :) HCM is not a death sentence. Many kitties live long, happy lives... so hang in there :)

      I don't recall reading anything about Atenolol and asthma - have you been to any of the heart websites?

      IMHO, HCM did not *just* come on. Cats are notorious for masking symptoms. To the best of my knowledge the only way to diagnose it is with an ultra sound. Does Widgie suffer from HyperT or CRF? Has she ever been anemic? Does she have high BP?

      My girl, Lightening was diagnosed in January 1999 with obstructed HCM and put on Atenolol. Aspirin was not recommended b/c of her CRF and its irritability on the belly.

      Hope this helps
      Sharon

    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
        sorry to reply so late but i've been out of town in houston checking up on
        our house duringt the recent rain storm....all is well for us, ttg.

        but how is widgie??? it sounds to me like you aren't 100% comfortable with
        your vet....it sounds a little strange to me that he listend to her heart,
        said it was ok and then dx's with hcm a few hrs later....this would really
        concern me....are you going to a cardiologist???

        max and pum and i are keeping both of you in our thoughts!

        linda