suggestions for tasty treats?

  • mkratchman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      I just wanted to see what kind of treats you all give? I have never
      really given any to either of my cats (in 13years), but since Thumper
      gets sad about going to the doctor all the time now, i thought it
      would be a nice treat for him.
      I'm asking specifically about if there are any fresh treats, rather
      than processed/dried types. I don't eat meat or fish, so the less prep
      i have to do on those types of things the better.
      thanks!
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Where I live there are several dog and cat
        bakeries/boutiques and from my experience they usually
        have the best variety of non-processed, fresh treats,
        or minimally processed almost fresh treats compared to
        a chain pet supply. One of the treats I buy is
        dehydrated chicken - it comes in little pieces that
        are easy to treat the cat with at the vet or in her
        carrier. . .

        The cat I grew up with (lived to the age of 21) loved
        to eat chicken/turkey livers. We gave them to her
        raw. Now I give chicken livers to my kitties on
        their birthday and on special occassions. I just pick
        them up at the grocery store (national chain), put
        some on a plate and kind of slice/mash it up. My two
        kitties now don't seem as impressed with the liver as
        that first cat was.

        I have also given my cats beaten, then microwaved,
        eggs - no oil no salt, just egg. Sometimes they eat
        it, sometimes they don't.

        I'm sure others will chime in with ideas too.

        --- mkratchman <mkratchman@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to see what kind of treats you all
        > give? I have never
        > really given any to either of my cats (in 13years),
        > but since Thumper
        > gets sad about going to the doctor all the time now,
        > i thought it
        > would be a nice treat for him.
        > I'm asking specifically about if there are any fresh
        > treats, rather
        > than processed/dried types. I don't eat meat or
        > fish, so the less prep
        > i have to do on those types of things the better.
        > thanks!

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
          Hi Michelle,

          In a message dated 12/1/06 7:40:09 PM, mkratchman@... writes:

          > I just wanted to see what kind of treats you all give?
          >
          > I use treats very sparingly...since cats don't really have a concept of
          "treat"...and only to encourage desirable behavior (scratching a post instead of
          the sofa) or help the cat associate something positive with a perceived negative
          (eg ear cleaning).

          But when I do, I give Halo's Liv-A-Littles or Whole Life Pet. Both have 100%
          dehydrated meat or fish products, with no grains, no fillers, no additives.
          (Some WLP have other ingredients.)

          > I have never
          > really given any to either of my cats (in 13years), but since Thumper
          > gets sad about going to the doctor all the time now, i thought it
          > would be a nice treat for him.

          Yes, nice idea.

          > I'm asking specifically about if there are any fresh treats, rather
          > than processed/dried types.

          If you want to give fresh food, you can give a little cube of raw chicken,
          turkey, veal, beef, buffalo, etc. Or, occasionally, a bit of goat cheese or goat
          yoghurt. Another option, depending on your comfort level, is thawed frozen
          whole prey, eg pinkie mice, which are available at animal supply stores that
          cater to snake caregivers for about $1/ea. // Rosemary