OT:Normal Breaths Per Minute

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      This is from a feline asthma site - I thought it would be helpful for those
      of us who count our kitties breaths per minute.

      *What is the normal breath per min. rate for a cat?*

      1. The cat should be asleep enough so that if you pass a hand in front
      of their eyes the shadow won't arouse them.
      2. I like to use a watch with a second hand although I have used the
      VCR clock and just counted a full minute.
      3. The final number is based on a full minute. So you can either count
      for the full 60 sec. or count for 15 sec. x 4 or 30 sec. x 2.
      4. Count the rise and fall as 1 breath.
      5. Great is 17-24, normal is 24-30, fast is 30-40 and labored is 40
      and above. These measurements are for during deep sleep only.
      6. My opinion is any cat breathing 40 or above during sleep has
      underlying inflammation whether or not coughing or wheezing are present.

      http://www.fritzthebrave.com/asthma/symptoms.html

      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar