Re: [FH] blood clots in veins vs. arteries

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Debby,

      I had to laugh - so you don't bite at your leg when you have this problem?
      LOL

      The swelling is almost gone in her left front leg & foot. When this
      happened on Monday, the swelling in her left hind leg & foot was completely
      gone by Tuesday morning.

      The vet says they ruled out a clot because there would have been elevated
      enzyme levels in her blood work - I assume from tissue damage. Her
      bloodwork was completely normal. I thought this was a perfect match to her
      symptoms but there were 3 cardiologists and a neurologist who disagree with
      me.

      This has been very frustrating. At least she's comfortable now and back
      home.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Ok, now I have a new worry. Mocha, my tonkinese boy, shakes his paw
        sometimes? Does that mean he has clots?

        > I wanted to add some thoughts about deep vein thrombosis. I've had
        phelbitis twice, and
        > what you describe corresponds with my symptoms (except the bitting of the
        leg). I was
        > given blood thinning meds, as well as cortizone to reduce the
        inflammation. With the
        > second attack, I had to keep my foot higher than my heart for a week. I
        have bad veins and
        > valves and have had trouble in both legs, though one is worse.
        >
        > The way I understand it, blood clots in the artery travel from the heart
        until they get to a
        > narrow spot. Fresh blood and oxygen aren't getting to the area after the
        clot, and tissues
        > can't work without the blood flow. That is what happens with saddle
        thrombosis and why
        > the legs are cold.
        >
        > With veins, the blood has spent it's oxygen and is making the long trip
        back to the lungs
        > and heart. There are also valves along the vein that help "push" the blood
        along it's way.
        > With people, and I assume with cats, where the clot is matters alot. Your
        veins are smaller
        > at the extremities and get increasingly larger as they get closer to the
        body core, A small
        > clot can block a vein near the foot, but won't be big enough to block the
        blood flow in the
        > groin. The blood backs up and becomes stagnant, which lead to
        inflammation, swelling
        > and heat.
        >
        > I hope this helps.
        >
        > Debby, Maggie's Mom

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          Kimberly,

          If you suspect a clot, check his paws to see that they are as pink as usual
          (if they're pink) and that the temperature is the same in each foot. If
          that's not the case, then you would want to get him to the vet as soon as
          possible. If you think it's a problem, call your vet and see what they
          think.

          How long does he shake his paws? There are lots of reasons for paw shaking.
          It could be that he got something on his paw that he doesn't like and is
          trying to shake it off.

          Could you give more details?

          Sue

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
            I wouldn't worry about Mocha shaking his paw now and
            then. If his leg were hot and swollen or had a bump,
            or he suddenly started shaking and biting at his paw
            over an extended time, then I would worry.

            My cats shake their paws nearly every time they step
            on a piece of litter in the carpet, if a paw gets wet,
            if something makes a noise under a paw when they step
            on it, when something gets caught between their "toes"
            etc.

            Nala

            --- "Cannon,Kimberly"

            Cheap talk?