Re: [FH] New Here.

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
      Jan,

      Welcome to you and Rocky. I am glad to hear that Rocky has been stable this long but I am sorry that he has HCM at all. I think you are doing a great thing to have him scanned like you do. It is possible for the HCM to stay stable without meds. There is no set guideline for the progression of the disease. It all depends on the kitty, the disease, what Rocky is eating, what his genes are, etc. There are just too many factors to know how the disease will progress. One year it may be nothing but the nest there may be a change. That is why more frequent scanning is great if you can afford it.

      Even though Rocky is stable, we always recommend supplements like CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10). There are others and if you want more information just email me. CoQ10 is the most important. If you weren't inclined to give supplements, I would hope you would at least consider this one. It can only help. You can ask your vet about this but most don't know much about supplements although they often say they can't hurt but probably won't help.

      There are a few other people in this group with Sphynxs. I am afraid their breed is becoming more prone to this disease. I am glad you saved Rocky even knowing that he had this problem. I wouldn't wait on an echo for the other kitty you have with a murmur. A murmur in an adult cat is not normal and usually means there is some type of heart condition. I recommend an echo for that kitty too. Supplements, too! The supplements won't hurt the others too.

      Please be sure to ask us any questions that you may have even if it isn't heart related because it often is! Welcome, again, to you and all your kitties!

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
        Jan,

        Welcome to you and Rocky. It's so great that you saved this guy.

        Sometimes it takes a long time for HCM to develop into something
        significant. But I agree with you that waiting until he goes into CHF is
        waiting too long. To me, that would mean waiting until there are changes in
        the heart. Some cardiologists believe in putting the cat on a low-dose of
        heart meds.

        Has he seen a cardiologist?

        As for the supplements, I think they would help any cat stay healthy. CoQ10
        is the #1 supplement for heart kitties. Most people start with 30mg daily.
        Other good supplements are l-carnitine and l-lysine.

        I'm sure other people will have more to add.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
          Jan,

          It was so good of you to take on a heart kitty. In
          some ways you are lucky that you know he has HCM -
          the diagnosis cannot catch you by surprise and you
          have foreknowledge that can help prevent mistakes in
          his future treatments. For example inappropriate
          anesthesia, large volumes of sub-Q fluids, treatment
          with corticosteroids, etc.

          My understanding is that when a cat has only mild HCM
          and is asymptomatic, many cardiologists/vets don't
          believe any treatment is needed. There are no
          treatments that can reliably prevent progression of
          the disease, but if the disease worsens, then your
          vet/cardiologist may decide to treat. Since Rocky's
          disease has been stable for more than a year, I would
          not worry that he is not being treated.

          I would look for changes in behavior, such as not
          eating, not seeming to be able to get comfortable,
          lack of interest in toys or things, hiding , etc. I
          would also look for changes in breathing. You could
          check now to see how many breaths you kitty takes per
          minute when he is asleep or at rest. Do not count his
          breaths if Rocky is doing something or is purring.
          Then over time if you see an increase in the number of
          breaths (not just a little blip, a consistent change)
          or if his chest movements seem different, this will be
          a signal to call your vet.

          I think I would have the cat with a heart murmur
          checked out. My cat developed a murmur at 4.5 yrs
          old. We didn't have it examined until she was 5.5.
          She was asymptomatic, but did have HCM, which since we
          caught it, has been progressing fairly rapidly. I
          don't have a strong opinion about how often to have an
          asymptomatic, stable cat scanned. I think I would have
          Rocky examined if something changes, for example my
          cat suddenly had some behavior changes and I wanted
          her re-examined and it turns out she was in early CHF,
          but if she were to have remained the same, I don't
          know if I would have been in such a hurry to have her
          examined.

          I supplement my cat with CoEnzymeQ10.

          Welcome to the group and if you have more questions be
          sure to ask!
          We'll do our best to help.

          -Nala

          Cheap talk?