Widgie has HCM

  • zellene.sandler@po.state.ct.us
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2001
      I joined this list a while ago when they thought my Widgie had a
      heart problem. It turned out not to be and I unsubscribed. But then,
      yesterday, I took her to the vet because she was vomiting everything.
      They did xrays, gave her an enema and some fluids and a med for the
      vomiting. That night she began having trouble breathing. I rushed her
      to the vet at 11 pm and he gave her Lasix. this morning they did an
      ultrasound and said it is HCM. So I am back. She is on Lasix for now.
      He mentioned Atenolol (sp?) but I think I read that cats with asthma
      shouldn't use it? Widgie does have asthma.

      I am so upset, didn't sleep last night, don't know what to do for my
      precious. My vet with his typical optimism said this is a life-
      threatening disease. I can't believe this. When I took her in for the
      vomiting they listened to her heart and it was okay. A few hours
      later she has HCM. I need some input, please. I'll be gone from my PC
      over the weekend since this is my work PC. And I'm leaving early
      today to get back to my baby. Thank goodness she ate a little baby
      food this morning. I want to give her every advantage to prolong her
      life and keep her healthy as possible. TIA

    • diane
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2001
        Hi Z,

        I'm sorry you're back. :( We had chatted when you joined the first time,
        remember? I live not too far from you and was willing to recommend my vet
        if you were in need of one. I don't remember how far we got on that.

        My vet is also very blunt about my cats conditions but at the same time she
        is very proactive in treatments. So while yes, I would say that HCM is a
        life-threatening disease, it is normally not an immediate death sentence. I
        say normally not, because there are times that you may not know your cat
        has HCM until it suffers heart failure. :(

        My Kearra lived 5.5 years with heart disease. She was first dx'd with HCM
        and put on Atenolol (nope, i can't spell it anymore either). After about
        2.5 years her murmur disappeared. After a year of that we slowly
        discontinued the Atenolol but kept using the asprin. 13 months before she
        died, still with no murmur, we did another ultrasound and discovered that
        while she had no murmur, she still had heart disease. It was reclassed as
        RCM, and her meds were changed to Enecard. 3 weeks before her death another
        ultrasound showed she had worsened a *little* (and her disease was pretty
        mild to begin with). We increased the Enecard to the full dosage (she had
        been on half). Three weeks later, with no warning, she threw a clot, lost
        the use of her entire back end, and while at the vet her lungs filled with
        fluid and an xray showed her heart was in failure. I let her go as no
        option could promise me anything and the fact was she may not have lasted
        the night. :~(

        Tim's cat, Mudgie, was dx'd with HCM in 1998 or so. He was on asprin for
        awhile. Last year we tried dilacor but he had a reaction to it and became
        anorexic. (that's why I started this list BTW) So we took him off that and
        the asprin and he's been fine since. His October ultrasound showed no change.

        I can't help you with the athesma issues as I haven't had to deal with that
        yet. But I will tell you that Kearra lived a full and wonderful life up
        until those last few hours. Mudgie's life is great too, though he still
        seems to miss her some. :(

        I would suggest an ultrasound ASAP. Maybe even an xray, I had one done
        early for Kearra just to get a baseline on her heart. HCM can be managed if
        you are willing to do so (and you seem to be) :)

        Good luck and write back if you need more help.

        Diane

        At 03:34 PM 6/8/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >I joined this list a while ago when they thought my Widgie had a
        >heart problem. It turned out not to be and I unsubscribed. But then,
        >yesterday, I took her to the vet because she was vomiting everything.
        >They did xrays, gave her an enema and some fluids and a med for the
        >vomiting. That night she began having trouble breathing. I rushed her
        >to the vet at 11 pm and he gave her Lasix. this morning they did an
        >ultrasound and said it is HCM. So I am back. She is on Lasix for now.
        >He mentioned Atenolol (sp?) but I think I read that cats with asthma
        >shouldn't use it? Widgie does have asthma.
        >
        >I am so upset, didn't sleep last night, don't know what to do for my
        >precious. My vet with his typical optimism said this is a life-
        >threatening disease. I can't believe this. When I took her in for the
        >vomiting they listened to her heart and it was okay. A few hours
        >later she has HCM. I need some input, please. I'll be gone from my PC
        >over the weekend since this is my work PC. And I'm leaving early
        >today to get back to my baby. Thank goodness she ate a little baby
        >food this morning. I want to give her every advantage to prolong her
        >life and keep her healthy as possible. TIA

      • Laura Penny
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2001
          Zellene,

          Welcome back. I do remember Widgie.

          To echo what Diane said, HCM is serious but not a death sentence. I've had
          three cats with it, all unrelated. Two are alive and thriving 3.5 years
          post-dx, thanks to diltiazem and Norvasc. One died a year after dx of a
          combination of HCM, CRF, and autoimmune problems. I think the unknown
          autoimmune problem was the chief contributor in Annie's case.

          When Kassy was first dx, the cardiologist saw rings around her windpipe. He
          said she either has asthma or was born with the rings. The only time she
          ever wheezes is when she's anxious (like if I'm chasing her with a dropper),
          so he said it probably wasn't asthma. He did tell us to take the top off the
          litter box. However, he would not prescribe atenolol because of the
          possibility of asthma.

          Have you checked her thyroid levels? Hyperthyroidism is often a cause of
          HCM. Even if Widgie's T4 is normal, her free T4 might be high. This is how
          we diagnosed Kassy's hyperT, although it is not the cause of her HCM.

          Good luck with Widgie.

          Laura

          >I joined this list a while ago when they thought my Widgie had a
          >heart problem. It turned out not to be and I unsubscribed. But then,
          >yesterday, I took her to the vet because she was vomiting everything.
          >They did xrays, gave her an enema and some fluids and a med for the
          >vomiting. That night she began having trouble breathing. I rushed her
          >to the vet at 11 pm and he gave her Lasix. this morning they did an
          >ultrasound and said it is HCM. So I am back. She is on Lasix for now.
          >He mentioned Atenolol (sp?) but I think I read that cats with asthma
          >shouldn't use it? Widgie does have asthma.
          >
          >I am so upset, didn't sleep last night, don't know what to do for my
          >precious. My vet with his typical optimism said this is a life-
          >threatening disease. I can't believe this. When I took her in for the
          >vomiting they listened to her heart and it was okay. A few hours
          >later she has HCM. I need some input, please. I'll be gone from my PC
          >over the weekend since this is my work PC. And I'm leaving early
          >today to get back to my baby. Thank goodness she ate a little baby
          >food this morning. I want to give her every advantage to prolong her
          >life and keep her healthy as possible. TIA

        • masaidit
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2001
            Hi Z,

            Sorry to hear about Widgie :(

            Please know that you have found a great group and I'm sure you'll get lots of help :) HCM is not a death sentence. Many kitties live long, happy lives... so hang in there :)

            I don't recall reading anything about Atenolol and asthma - have you been to any of the heart websites?

            IMHO, HCM did not *just* come on. Cats are notorious for masking symptoms. To the best of my knowledge the only way to diagnose it is with an ultra sound. Does Widgie suffer from HyperT or CRF? Has she ever been anemic? Does she have high BP?

            My girl, Lightening was diagnosed in January 1999 with obstructed HCM and put on Atenolol. Aspirin was not recommended b/c of her CRF and its irritability on the belly.

            Hope this helps
            Sharon

          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2001
              sorry to reply so late but i've been out of town in houston checking up on
              our house duringt the recent rain storm....all is well for us, ttg.

              but how is widgie??? it sounds to me like you aren't 100% comfortable with
              your vet....it sounds a little strange to me that he listend to her heart,
              said it was ok and then dx's with hcm a few hrs later....this would really
              concern me....are you going to a cardiologist???

              max and pum and i are keeping both of you in our thoughts!

              linda