Saddle thrombosis/Dianna

  • protectanimals
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006
      I'm sorry I was not available to get on-line last night when Sue
      called and told me about Travis, but I think Sue did a great job of
      coming up with some links to prior messages, hopefully some of them
      have some useful information for you.

      I'm really sorry you and Travis are having to deal with this clot and
      I do hope Travis is one of the lucky ones that gets to move on from
      this to have good quality of life again. This group will help you
      through it as much as you need us....

      I know Sue mentioned about my dog, and because of what's going on
      with my dog, I'm really not up for writing a whole lot right
      now...but I would be up for talking by phone, if you want to email me
      privately we can work that out.

      I do want to write about Travis not eating tho. Monkey did the same
      thing after her saddle thrombosis. Two things helped that 1) going
      off her buprenex. Buprenex is normally prescribed for pain.
      Although Monkey did not have pain after the clot, she was anxious the
      first day, so she was given Buprenex. My vet said that Buprenex can
      suppress appetite, so since she had no pain, we took her off the
      Buprenex, which helped (but of course, under these circumstances, if
      Travis is on Buprenex, it would be best not to take him off without
      consulting your vet!), AND 2) I started her on Science Diet A/D for
      her food. There was an immediate difference in her as soon as she
      smelled the A/D, she just gobbled it up. It became her regular food
      for a number of months, even though it's not really made for long-
      term use. I fed her A/D (with some water mixed in for extra
      hydration) for as long as she would eat it. When she got interested
      in my other cats' canned Wellness, I switched her to Wellness. Then,
      a second time, way later, she stopped eating and I gave her A/D again
      and it did the trick to get her to eat again.

      I did not have to assist feed her to get her to eat again after the
      saddle thrombosis, I just had to put the A/D in front of her!

      Well, I'm off to be with the dog.....let me know if I can help. I'll
      check email tomorrow if I possibly can (don't know what tomorrow may
      bring in terms of vet visits, etc).

      Meredith missing Monkey