Coughing

  • gea@alumni.duke.edu
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi,

      Just looking for a little experience from some of you whose cats have
      coughing as a symptom of CHF, like Malcolm does.

      We're still trying to find a dose of Lasix that controls Malcolm's
      cough (using less than one coughing fit per day as a working
      definition of "controls") but doesn't elevate his kidney values. He's
      been on 12.5 mg/day (6.25 mg 2x/day) for a week now, and has been
      coughing just a little less frequently than once per day, so my vet is
      suggesting trying that for another week to see if the coughing
      increases or decreases. Hopefully, it will decrease & we can stick
      with that dose. We were on 18.75 mg/day for a while, but he was
      coughing too much, had to go back up to 25 mg/day for a few days to
      clear the fluid & back down again to 12.5.

      The vet warned me that sometimes fluid just builds up (& increases
      coughing) for no apparent reason & you have to increase the Lasix for
      a few days then return to the maintenance dose. Has anyone else
      experienced this pattern or had this kind of trouble optimizing the
      diuretic dose?

      To top it all off, the little guy also has been very wheezy (sounds
      like allergies in the nose area vs. a hacking cough) for the past day
      or so. Anyway, I'd sure appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar
      situation & your experiences.

      Thanks!

      Gail & Malcolm
    • Cynthia Rausch
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
        gea@... wrote:
        Just looking for a little experience from some of you whose cats have
        coughing as a symptom of CHF, like Malcolm does.

        Hi Gail and Malcolm,

        I don't have any personel experience but here is a link that might
        help.

        Cough http://www.VetMedCenter.com/Consumer/display.asp?id=8656&dt=p

        Also see my post several months ago at this link below for more
        on heart problems.

        Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
      • adawson1971@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 27, 2002
          Can anyone tell me what a cough sounds like?

          Moth has been making what sounds like a hairball. But he's been doing it
          every few days. Until recently, he only did it every six weeks or so. But
          after he started hairball formula food, it was even rarer than that until
          about 2 weeks ago when it started happening every couple of days. BTW, I've
          never actually seen a hairball, not even before.

          Annette
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 28, 2002
            I would call & ask the vet/cardiologist about this.

          • zellenesa
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 29, 2002
              Coughing should not be ignored. If you have not seen a hairball, the
              cough could be due to several things, all of which require a vet's
              care. My Widgie coughs when she has fluid buildup due to her heart
              condition and this is a very serious thing. She also has feline
              asthma and takes inhaled meds for this. I have learned to tell the
              difference between the two coughs most of the time.

              Does you cat extend its neck and give a dry, hacking cough? OR is it
              a moist sounding cough? Do you notice the sides moving in and out or
              even the throat and nose moving while your cat is breathing? IS the
              cat breathing faster than, sy, 30 breaths per minute?

              In any case, this requires a trip to the vet asap, in my opinion.

            • adawson1971@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 29, 2002
                Well the good news is that there is no fluid build up in Moth's lungs. An
                interesting tidbit I learned is that Moth's heart problem is on the right
                side and it's unusual for that type to lead to congestion in the lungs.
                However, if the problem progresses to point that the left is weakened, that
                could lead to congestion problems.

                The Dr. thought the coughing could be a sign of Asthma, but the x-rays didn't
                show any indication of that either. The best guess is that it's some sort of
                infection, given that the onset was progressive instead of immediate. So Moth
                will be on antibiotics for the next 10 days.

                The bad news is that the Dr. added 1//2 tablet of Lasix. The really bad news
                it that for the next 10 days I'lll have to convince Moth that the 3 pills he
                has to take are for his own good.

                Annette and Moth
              • marcijoy2002
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 29, 2002
                  Speaking strictly as a human asthmatic, but with no experience with
                  feline asthma ...
                  I do not think you can definitively diagnose asthma (or the absence
                  of asthma) with an x-ray. Sometimes asthmatics have hyperinflated
                  lungs because air gets trapped in them, but I don't think that is
                  always the case. Asthma is, by definition, an intermittent disease.
                  An asthmatic cat's lungs might seem perfectly normal when it is not
                  in the middle of an asthma attack.

                  In humans, asthma is often diagnosed by inducing an asthma attack
                  with chemicals, and seeing if the person responds to anti-asthma
                  medication. But I suppose it is cruel and unethical to do this with
                  cats.

                  Once again, I don't have experience with feline asthma, just the
                  human kind. You might want to do a search on feline asthma on the
                  internet.

                  Marcia and Morris

                • adawson1971@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 29, 2002
                    I just assumed the Dr. meant that the x-ray showed no asthma. But he could
                    have meant some of the other things that they did while they had Moth in the
                    back. And Moth, did have a short coughing spell while they we were at the
                    hospital. I don't know if that was a "benefit" or not.

                    But I did take your advice and did a quick search for feline asthma and
                    according to what I found that an x-ray does help with cats.

                    "Physical examinations vary. Cats that are between episodes may be found to
                    be totally normal. With an advanced disease, abnormal sounds may be heard in
                    the lungs. Severely affected cats may display severe respiratory distress
                    (open mouth
                    breathing, blue membranes, and wheezing).

                    Fortunately, chest x-rays can help diagnose the cause of feline bronchitis. A
                    full medical examination, including a complete blood count, serum chemistry
                    profile, and urinalysis are also helpful, as are tests for parasites
                    (particularly heartworm and
                    toxoplasmosis). Your veterinarian will determine the best way to diagnose the
                    disease.

                    Cats with severe respiratory distress should be medically stabilized before
                    any diagnosis. In a stable cat, any identifiable underlying causes can be
                    eliminated. If there is a suspected environmental irritant, that should also
                    be eliminated. The removal of any irritant can lead to a cure."

                    > Subj:Re: [FH] Coughing
                    > Date:4/29/02 12:31:24 PM Central Daylight Time
                    > From:<A HREF="mailto:foxfried@...">foxfried@...</A>
                    > To:<A HREF="mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com">feline-heart@yahoogroups.com</A>
                    > Sent from the Internet
                    >

                    > Speaking strictly as a human asthmatic, but with no experience with
                    > feline asthma ...
                    > I do not think you can definitively diagnose asthma (or the absence
                    > of asthma) with an x-ray. Sometimes asthmatics have hyperinflated
                    > lungs because air gets trapped in them, but I don't think that is
                    > always the case. Asthma is, by definition, an intermittent disease.
                    > An asthmatic cat's lungs might seem perfectly normal when it is not
                    > in the middle of an asthma attack.
                    >
                    > In humans, asthma is often diagnosed by inducing an asthma attack
                    > with chemicals, and seeing if the person responds to anti-asthma
                    > medication. But I suppose it is cruel and unethical to do this with
                    > cats.
                    >
                    > Once again, I don't have experience with feline asthma, just the
                    > human kind. You might want to do a search on feline asthma on the
                    > internet.
                    >
                    > Marcia and Morris

                  • zanth_99
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 18, 2003
                      Hi everyone,

                      I'm probably going to sound like a paranoid mom in this post, but
                      Boo Kitty had a litte coughing fit today. It lasted for, oh, about
                      45 seconds to a minute. Even before she had CHF, I would rarely ...
                      if ever ... hear her cough. Her breathing seems fine, her tounge
                      and gum color is fine, she's active, affectionate and happy. She's
                      also eating.

                      I did have to shut up the house this morning, my area is under a
                      tropical storm warning due to Isabel, we've had all the windows in
                      the house open for a couple of weeks...I guess maybe she may have
                      gotten some dust?

                      It's ok, you can tell me I'm a paranoid mom, just wondering if this
                      is anything I should be concerned with.

                      Sandy & Boo Kitty
                      PS - late onset HCM, 1/4 Lotensin & 1/2 Atenolol daily, 1/2 Lasix
                      every other day, 1/2 baby asprin every 3 days
                    • Heather Grace
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 18, 2003
                        Hi Sandy,

                        My Purcy also has HCM and has had a couple of small coughing fits
                        recently, too. I live in central Massachusetts and the air quality
                        has been so bad this summer. My vet thinks that's why Purcy did some
                        coughing. In fact, the technician there told me that many dogs and
                        cats were being affected by allergies this summer. I don't know if
                        that's what's wrong with Boo Kitty. I hope that's all it is. My vet
                        said that as long as Purcy's gums look okay, and he doesn't have
                        labored breathing then he should be alright. But if you have any
                        doubts, take Boo Kitty in to see your vet.

                        Take care,

                        Heather & Purcy
                        HCM, 1/2 Lasix everyday, 1/2 Enacard everyday, 1 baby aspirin every
                        three days

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99" <sandra_scanlon@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi everyone,
                        >
                        > I'm probably going to sound like a paranoid mom in this post, but
                        > Boo Kitty had a litte coughing fit today. It lasted for, oh, about
                        > 45 seconds to a minute. Even before she had CHF, I would
                        rarely ...
                        > if ever ... hear her cough. Her breathing seems fine, her tounge
                        > and gum color is fine, she's active, affectionate and happy. She's
                        > also eating.
                      • zanth_99
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 18, 2003
                          Hi Heather,

                          Thanks so much, weather permitting she is scheduled for a checkup
                          with her regular vet tomorrow evening, but in the meantime I will
                          just keep a very close eye on her. Gum and tongue color still very
                          good, no coughing now for several hours. Still have lights, cable
                          and tv, so she and I are happy.

                          Sandy & Boo Kitty

                          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Heather Grace" <seasaidh@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > Hi Sandy,
                          >
                          > My Purcy also has HCM and has had a couple of small coughing fits
                          > recently, too. I live in central Massachusetts and the air
                          quality
                          > has been so bad this summer. My vet thinks that's why Purcy did
                          some
                          > coughing. In fact, the technician there told me that many dogs
                          and
                          > cats were being affected by allergies this summer. I don't know
                          if
                          > that's what's wrong with Boo Kitty. I hope that's all it is. My
                          vet
                          > said that as long as Purcy's gums look okay, and he doesn't have
                          > labored breathing then he should be alright. But if you have any
                          > doubts, take Boo Kitty in to see your vet.
                        • reijanen
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 25, 2004
                            My 6-year-old cat has HCM, he was diagnosed 1,5 years ago. His meds are:
                            - Diltiazem twice a day
                            - Furesis 1-2 times a day
                            - baby aspirin every third day
                            - supplements: Fish oil capsules and sometimes extra taurine.

                            He has been in good shape during this time.

                            Couple a weeks ago we moved into a bigger apartment and he loves our
                            new home. He has been very playful and very active. But lately he has
                            been coughing about once a day, usually at nights. He has never done
                            it before. Should I take him to the vet? Or should I wait and look if
                            there will be any change in his condition? He isn't tired or anything,
                            but still I'm a little bit afraid.

                            reija
                          • lisa
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 22, 2005
                              I've been there, It's distressing to see your cat "coughing". Have
                              they considered the possibility of asthma if nothing shows on an echo?
                              I kind of see the point of the scaredy cat theory since the spells seem
                              stress induced, and she's right about propanolol and panic attacks in
                              people. Have they done blood work to look at the other systems in the
                              body and how they are functioning? Hope you don't feel guilty if you
                              can't access specialists. Sometimes you have to place yourself in the
                              hands of your vet and know, just like with parenting, you're doing the
                              best you can. We could all second guess our vets, ourselves and our
                              decisions about our pets to an extreme but it won't change the fact
                              that all life is a short term gift and we rarely have control over when
                              it's going to be taken away. You love your cat and the time you have is
                              precious but always too short in re: to our typically long
                              lives.
                              Good luck to you and hope it's not too serious. Lisa
                            • Bab006@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 26, 2006
                                How much does your cats cough that are in CHF? I was gone almost a week
                                over the holidays and my petsitter NEVER heard Sim cough once. He was here over
                                4 hours a day. I am with him about 2 hours in the morning before work and
                                about 4 hours in evening before bed and this evening Sim has had over 4 bad
                                coughing spells. He has not even had one that I know of in the last 4 days
                                alone. The pet sitter did not even see him breath hard and I was able to show
                                him what it looked like when he was breathing hard. I don't know what to
                                consider normal coughing when he goes over a week without coughing and now all of
                                a sudden he is coughing all evening and breathing hard. How do you
                                determine when they are in trouble or just a normal coughing attach? I am usually
                                seeing about 2 bad coughs a week. I would jsut like something to roughly
                                compare it too.
                                Bridget

                                Confidentiality Notice:
                                This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential
                                information which is legally protected through the Individuals with Disabilities
                                Education Act, the Family Rights and Privacy Act and the Health Information
                                and Portability Accountability Act. The information is for the sole use of the
                                information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
                                If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender be reply
                                email and destroy all copies of the original message.

                              • Sue at MAGDRL
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 26, 2006
                                  Bridget,

                                  When Pepper was in CHF, she NEVER coughed. You could see her sides moving a
                                  bit harder than normal, but unless she really exerted herself where she was
                                  panting, you just wouldn't know unless you were aware of her condition and
                                  looking for symptoms.

                                  Sue

                                  > How much does your cats cough that are in CHF? I was gone almost a week
                                  > over the holidays and my petsitter NEVER heard Sim cough once. He was
                                  here over
                                  > 4 hours a day. I am with him about 2 hours in the morning before work
                                  and
                                  > about 4 hours in evening before bed and this evening Sim has had over 4
                                  bad
                                  > coughing spells. He has not even had one that I know of in the last 4
                                  days
                                  > alone. The pet sitter did not even see him breath hard and I was able to
                                  show
                                  > him what it looked like when he was breathing hard. I don't know what to
                                  > consider normal coughing when he goes over a week without coughing and
                                  now all of
                                  > a sudden he is coughing all evening and breathing hard. How do you
                                  > determine when they are in trouble or just a normal coughing attach? I
                                  am usually
                                  > seeing about 2 bad coughs a week. I would jsut like something to roughly
                                  > compare it too.
                                  > Bridget

                                • Cannon,Kimberly
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 27, 2006
                                    Q-tip used to cough quite a bit, but that was misdiagnosed as
                                    allergies/asthma. Since she has been on heart medications, I have not heard
                                    her coughing at all. Therefore I have assumed all coughing was due to her
                                    severe CHF at the time of dignoses. She only had 1/2 of one lung to breathe
                                    with and she has recovered quite well with medications.

                                    > How much does your cats cough that are in CHF? I was gone almost a week
                                    > over the holidays and my petsitter NEVER heard Sim cough once. He was
                                    here over
                                    > 4 hours a day. I am with him about 2 hours in the morning before work
                                    and
                                    > about 4 hours in evening before bed and this evening Sim has had over 4
                                    bad
                                    > coughing spells. He has not even had one that I know of in the last 4
                                    days
                                    > alone. The pet sitter did not even see him breath hard and I was able to
                                    show
                                    > him what it looked like when he was breathing hard. I don't know what to
                                    > consider normal coughing when he goes over a week without coughing and
                                    now all of
                                    > a sudden he is coughing all evening and breathing hard. How do you
                                    > determine when they are in trouble or just a normal coughing attach? I
                                    am usually
                                    > seeing about 2 bad coughs a week. I would jsut like something to roughly
                                    > compare it too.
                                    > Bridget

                                    feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    * Visit your group " feline-heart
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart> " on the web.

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                    _____

                                  • Ruthie
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 27, 2006
                                      Same here. Unless Butters is needing a med adjustment, I rarely hear her
                                      cough anymore. And unfortunately, it looks like we might need to go that
                                      route in the not so distant future. For right now though, it's not anywhere
                                      near bad enough to concern me.

                                      Ruthie and the crew.

                                      Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

                                      Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

                                      > Q-tip used to cough quite a bit, but that was misdiagnosed as
                                      > allergies/asthma. Since she has been on heart medications, I have not
                                      > heard
                                      > her coughing at all. Therefore I have assumed all coughing was due to her
                                      > severe CHF at the time of dignoses. She only had 1/2 of one lung to
                                      > breathe
                                      > with and she has recovered quite well with medications.

                                    • myisabelle0929
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
                                        Hello everyone,

                                        I am curious about coughing and how common it is with your cats? I
                                        have had Isabelle off the Lasix for a few months now and just on
                                        Enalapril and she seemed to be doing great with out it however,
                                        recently she has been coughing a lot more after being picked up or if
                                        I give her a little squeeze for a hug when I hold her. I listen to
                                        her breathing and it sounds a bit raspy but it's not labored and her
                                        respiratory rate seems close to normal. I am surprised her resp. rate
                                        has slowed down because although she has seemed well for months it was
                                        always pretty high. I have also not seen her in a relaxed position
                                        (curled up in a ball) for quite a few days.

                                        Thanks for any insight.

                                        LaReina
                                      • Carol
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
                                          Hi LaReina,

                                          Coughing can start up when there's fluid accumulating. If she's doing
                                          it often, and it's not just a once and a while thing, I'd get her
                                          chest xrayed again to make sure there's no fluid in there. You don't
                                          want to wait if there is. You won't necessarily hear the fluid. It can
                                          sound very diffused sometimes. When I listen with the stethoscope,
                                          sometimes the fluid does sound like crackling, but sometimes it sounds
                                          like a raspy sound.

                                          I wouldn't wait too long on it. If she is building up fluid again, you
                                          don't want her to go into CHF. She may need to be on a small dose of
                                          Lasix all the time to control it.

                                          You need to find out what's going on and the xray will tell you if
                                          there's fluid in there or not.

                                          hugs,
                                          Carol and Snowball and the gang
                                        • gill7penny
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 10, 2009
                                            Hi. Last Friday mid morning Sasha started coughing. It was like a fur ball cough but unusual for her. I could hear fluid and thought she was going to vomit some up during the coughing. I thought she was going to need the hospital so grabbed my shoes and car keys. By then she had finished coughing and was brighter than she had been in weeks. She trotted off and asked for food and has been really active and alert since then and her breathing has not been so fast. However this morning the same thing happened and the coughing went on for a bit longer. My husband was with her this time through most of it and said it was like she dislodged fluid but just swallowed it back down instead of bringing it up. I had just commented before this episode that Sasha was quiet today, but after this happening she has been active and bright again.

                                            Does this imply there could be fluid in the lungs now? She is still on 10mg Frusemide daily though some days we do give a 2nd dose if she seems to be breathing particularly fast. Her breathing has been faster the last few weeks generally, about 40-45 breaths per minute at rest, though sometimes a bit less.

                                            I really don't want to take her to vets unless it is absolutely necessary as it does stress her out so much. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the coughing with their HCM kitties.

                                            Gill and Sasha
                                          • Westgold
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 10, 2009
                                              Hi -- this is very interesting. I believe they can cough up some fluid. Just before my kitty died suddenly of HCM she screamed loud enough to wake me up, and I found her in the sphynx position in a big puddle of fluid. So perhaps if there's just a tiny bit, a cat can cough it into her mouth and then swallow it, like you described. But if there's a lot, then it can't be swallowed and kitty will drown in it. That's what happened to my little girl. We personally cannot properly tell how much fluid is in a kitty -- unless the breathing rate is like over 35-40 bpm. (Normal is around 25.) If you see that fast breathing, or very deep labored breathing, you need to go to the ER immediately. Deep labored breathing may mean that kitty is drowning in fluid -- she needs immediate help. Only a vet can tell how much fluid is in there. Don't take any chances!

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 11, 2009
                                                Hi. Thanks to everyone who responded with advice about Sasha having a couple of coughing episodes recently. I increased her dosage of Frusemide throughout the day after reading all your comments. I knew the coughing was probably a bad symptom but didn't realise it could be life threatening so quickly. Sasha ended up having a total of 4 x 10mg doses. My original vet said a maximum of 60mg was OK if urgent although there would come a point when this wouldn't work. I will reduce the dosage today to 2 x 10 and see how things go. Tamia, one thing stood out for me from your post regarding Lovie, is that the heart has to be more important than the kidneys. I totally agree with that. Fortunately Sasha hasn't shown any sign of kidney damage so far.

                                                After monitoring Sasha during the night, I can see her breathing is easier and down to about 38 breaths per minute.

                                                I will contact my vet trainee cardiologist today. She has been brilliant with Sasha. The problem is that a trip of 40 minutes to the hospital itself could make Sasha very ill and we could lose her. I need to weigh that up against trying to find ways to prevent the fluid building up without too many tests.

                                                I love my little girl so much I just don't want her to suffer but I feel caught between what course of action will be best for her. I am hoping any treatment can be given by the branch vets just 5 minutes away from where I live but that has to be the hospital's decision.

                                                Thanks again for all your support.

                                                Gill and Sasha
                                              • Westgold

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 11, 2009
                                                    Hi- just reading this, so I haven't seen the other responses, but could Sasha have asthma? I have two HCM cats, one with asthma also. It is much more common for the coughing to be from asthma, that is a typical sign. Asthma and HCM other go hand in hand. That being said, if they check your kitty out for asthma and it turns out she does have it, do not let them give your kitty oral steriods or a steriod shot. That can kill HCM kitties. Your kitty would need to be on an albuterol (rescue) inhaler and an inhaled steriod Flovent.

                                                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "gill7penny" <gill7penny@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi. Thanks to everyone who responded with advice about Sasha having a couple of coughing episodes recently. I increased her dosage of Frusemide throughout the day after reading all your comments. I knew the coughing was probably a bad symptom but didn't realise it could be life threatening so quickly. Sasha ended up having a total of 4 x 10mg doses. My original vet said a maximum of 60mg was OK if urgent although there would come a point when this wouldn't work. I will reduce the dosage today to 2 x 10 and see how things go. Tamia, one thing stood out for me from your post regarding Lovie, is that the heart has to be more important than the kidneys. I totally agree with that. Fortunately Sasha hasn't shown any sign of kidney damage so far.
                                                    >
                                                    > After monitoring Sasha during the night, I can see her breathing is easier and down to about 38 breaths per minute.
                                                    >
                                                    > I will contact my vet trainee cardiologist today. She has been brilliant with Sasha. The problem is that a trip of 40 minutes to the hospital itself could make Sasha very ill and we could lose her. I need to weigh that up against trying to find ways to prevent the fluid building up without too many tests.
                                                    >
                                                    > I love my little girl so much I just don't want her to suffer but I feel caught between what course of action will be best for her. I am hoping any treatment can be given by the branch vets just 5 minutes away from where I live but that has to be the hospital's decision.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks again for all your support.
                                                    >
                                                    > Gill and Sasha

                                                  • snickfly
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , May 8, 2013
                                                      Since I am new to this and have seen you write about coughing, I wanted to clarify. Charlie has an 'episode' ( not sure what else to call it) last night and this morning but I don't know if it was coughing or if he was trying to bring up a hairball. Do they look/sound the same?

                                                      He has been doing well with the Lasix and Atenolol. His appetite is good, he is playing and even mischievous at times. So I am not sure what the 'episodes' were. It looked like the other kitties when they are working on a hairball. He goes for blood work and check up on Friday afternoon so I will bring it up to the vet then, but just wanted to see if you guys could give me any info.

                                                      Thanks,
                                                      Anne and Charlie
                                                    • elfinmyst
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , May 8, 2013
                                                        Hi Anne

                                                        None of my heart cats have ever had coughing as a symptom surprisingly.
                                                        It's always been a hairball or respiratory infection. I would definitely
                                                        mention it though as cardiac cough is a real symptom. Has his breathing rate at
                                                        rest increased or is it different. (Double breaths where they intake twice,
                                                        deep pulling in of stomach or at rest over 40 are all red flags.)

                                                      • Laurie Stead
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , May 8, 2013
                                                          Coughing is definitely a symptom of fluid build up.  Keep a close eye on Charlie's breathing.  If it increases from his "normal", I would bring him in now.

                                                          Laurie

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , May 8, 2013
                                                            This is actually what started this whole HCM journey for my boy. He was doing the same thing you are describing. On the xray i was told that that because his heart was so big, it looked like it was pushing his larynx away from where it should be. Since we started all his meds, i noticed less episodes. I would definitely have them check it out when you go if it wasn't there before. Not sure if that helped or not. Best of luck!

                                                            Blake and Schmutz
                                                            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , May 8, 2013
                                                              I took Charlie to the vet today and even though he had normal respirations and normal heart rate, no rattling sounds in the chest through stethoscope, the xray showed fluid in his lungs...actually more than when I first took him in with rapid respirations and he was diagnosed.

                                                              So he is increasing his dose of Lasix...well it's something that starts with an F, can't remember the name......anyway, his dose is increased. Blood work showed that his kidney enzymes were ok so the increase was ok to do. Vet said he was on a very low dose to start. Hoping this works. He has been so happy and playful....maybe too much. So I am keeping him in just one room until we go back in two weeks for a check up.