Re: [feline-heart] Vit E. question

  • Cynthia Rausch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      yarringt@... wrote:
      For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
      I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
      Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?

      Thanks!
      -Debra & Tigger

      Hi Debra and Tigger,

      Here is a little info I found off the net when Taffy was first diagnosed
      of renal failure in May of 99. I received it off of Nadia's home page,
      its no longer there.

      Anyway I copied to whole article off, but here is part of it.

      <SNIP>
      From Natural Diet for Cats Guidelines for Animal Nutrition
      Jeffrey Levy D.V.M.
      71 Ashfild Road
      Williansburg, Massachusetts 01096
      413-268-3000

      Oils
      Cats need fats and oils in their diet. Table below shows the
      daily amounts of the various oils to feed your cat.

      Decrease the amounts of vegetable oil if your cat is overweight.

      Vegetable oils
      Cold pressed unfiltered oils are best. I prefer olive oil, which
      can be combined with sesame, safflower, canola, or corn oil.
      Avoid highly refined oils such as Wesson or Crisco.

      Cod Liver Oil
      Cod liver oil supplies vitamin A and D. Buy only the un-flavored
      type, and store in the refrigerator. If your cat does not like the
      flavor, start with smaller amounts and build up.

      Vitamin E
      The simplest way to give vitamin E is to by a bottle of unencapsulated
      oil. Alternatively, you can buy capsules, puncture them, and squeeze
      out the oil into the food.

      Note do not give much more than the amounts stated in the Table
      below for cod liver oil and Vitamin E because A,D,E, are fat soluble
      and are stored in your cats body. Excessive supplementation can
      lead to toxicity.

      Cats Weight Vegetable oil Cod Liver Oil Vitamin E
      4 to 6 pounds 1 1/8 tsp. almost 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
      6 to 8 pounds 1 1/4 tsp. almost 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
      9 to 10 pounds 1 1/2 tsp. 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
      10 to 12 pounds 1 7/8 tsp. 5/16 tsp. 125 IU
      over 12 pounds 2 1/4 tsp. 3/8 tsp. 150 IU

      <SNIP>

      Keep in mind that this is based on a home made diet, most
      likely, with commercial diets there may be some oils already
      added in.

      Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel

    • gea@alumni.duke.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi, all,

        I started giving Malcolm 200 IU per day about a week ago based on the
        usual recommended dosage for cats (100-400 IU) listed in "The Pill
        Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat" (Roby & Southam, 1998).

        I did a little reading & found lots of references to Vit. E.'s
        anticoagulant properties but not much (in the clinical literature)
        about its effect on blood presure, but did find the following:

        - a study showing Vit E. decreased blood pressure in rats
        - a study in humans in which Vit. E. showed a trend (but no
        statistically significant difference) in blood pressure in people
        already being treated for hypertension
        - a study in humans showing that Vit. E. intake did correlate with
        decrease in sroke (for only 58 vs. 27 I.U. per day)

        Based upon this last finding, and Cynthia's list, I may decrease
        Malcolm's dose a little, but in his case, a little decrease in blood
        pressure probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

        Gail & Malcolm

        --- In feline-heart@y..., yarringt@a... wrote:
        > For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
        > I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
        > Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Debra & Tigger
      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hi Debra,
          According to Cheryl Schwartz DVM in the book "Four Paws Five
          Directions", she says for early heart imbalances, give 50 IU every day for
          cats and small dogs. For cardiomyopathy, she says small doses, 25 IU every
          other day. Too high a dose can increase blood pressure.
          Love, Voula.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            yarringt@... wrote:

            > For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
            > I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
            > Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?

            I was giving 100 per day, per the vet recommendation.

            Anyes
          • gea@alumni.duke.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              This is great; thanks, Voula.