Vit E. question

  • yarringt@asel.udel.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
      I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
      Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?

      Thanks!
      -Debra & Tigger
    • Cynthia Rausch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        yarringt@... wrote:
        For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
        I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
        Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?

        Thanks!
        -Debra & Tigger

        Hi Debra and Tigger,

        Here is a little info I found off the net when Taffy was first diagnosed
        of renal failure in May of 99. I received it off of Nadia's home page,
        its no longer there.

        Anyway I copied to whole article off, but here is part of it.

        <SNIP>
        From Natural Diet for Cats Guidelines for Animal Nutrition
        Jeffrey Levy D.V.M.
        71 Ashfild Road
        Williansburg, Massachusetts 01096
        413-268-3000

        Oils
        Cats need fats and oils in their diet. Table below shows the
        daily amounts of the various oils to feed your cat.

        Decrease the amounts of vegetable oil if your cat is overweight.

        Vegetable oils
        Cold pressed unfiltered oils are best. I prefer olive oil, which
        can be combined with sesame, safflower, canola, or corn oil.
        Avoid highly refined oils such as Wesson or Crisco.

        Cod Liver Oil
        Cod liver oil supplies vitamin A and D. Buy only the un-flavored
        type, and store in the refrigerator. If your cat does not like the
        flavor, start with smaller amounts and build up.

        Vitamin E
        The simplest way to give vitamin E is to by a bottle of unencapsulated
        oil. Alternatively, you can buy capsules, puncture them, and squeeze
        out the oil into the food.

        Note do not give much more than the amounts stated in the Table
        below for cod liver oil and Vitamin E because A,D,E, are fat soluble
        and are stored in your cats body. Excessive supplementation can
        lead to toxicity.

        Cats Weight Vegetable oil Cod Liver Oil Vitamin E
        4 to 6 pounds 1 1/8 tsp. almost 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
        6 to 8 pounds 1 1/4 tsp. almost 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
        9 to 10 pounds 1 1/2 tsp. 1/4 tsp. 100 IU
        10 to 12 pounds 1 7/8 tsp. 5/16 tsp. 125 IU
        over 12 pounds 2 1/4 tsp. 3/8 tsp. 150 IU

        <SNIP>

        Keep in mind that this is based on a home made diet, most
        likely, with commercial diets there may be some oils already
        added in.

        Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel

      • shelley knibbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          I believe it is too much to start, especially when there are indications of
          heart problems. With people who have heart problems they always recommend
          that you start with a low dose and work your way up as it does affect blood
          pressure. I would try 50 IU for a week at least and don't think I would go
          over 100 IU. Most people who take vitamin E only take 200-400 IU so for a
          cat I think 200 is too much.
          Just my opinion, maybe someone has better info.

          Shelley

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi, all,

            I started giving Malcolm 200 IU per day about a week ago based on the
            usual recommended dosage for cats (100-400 IU) listed in "The Pill
            Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat" (Roby & Southam, 1998).

            I did a little reading & found lots of references to Vit. E.'s
            anticoagulant properties but not much (in the clinical literature)
            about its effect on blood presure, but did find the following:

            - a study showing Vit E. decreased blood pressure in rats
            - a study in humans in which Vit. E. showed a trend (but no
            statistically significant difference) in blood pressure in people
            already being treated for hypertension
            - a study in humans showing that Vit. E. intake did correlate with
            decrease in sroke (for only 58 vs. 27 I.U. per day)

            Based upon this last finding, and Cynthia's list, I may decrease
            Malcolm's dose a little, but in his case, a little decrease in blood
            pressure probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

            Gail & Malcolm

            --- In feline-heart@y..., yarringt@a... wrote:
            > For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
            > I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
            > Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > -Debra & Tigger
          • Voula Augerinos
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              Hi Debra,
              According to Cheryl Schwartz DVM in the book "Four Paws Five
              Directions", she says for early heart imbalances, give 50 IU every day for
              cats and small dogs. For cardiomyopathy, she says small doses, 25 IU every
              other day. Too high a dose can increase blood pressure.
              Love, Voula.

              >I believe it is too much to start, especially when there are indications of
              >heart problems. With people who have heart problems they always recommend
              >that you start with a low dose and work your way up as it does affect blood
              >pressure. I would try 50 IU for a week at least and don't think I would go
              >over 100 IU. Most people who take vitamin E only take 200-400 IU so for a
              >cat I think 200 is too much.
              >Just my opinion, maybe someone has better info.
              >
              >Shelley
              >

              >>From: yarringt@...
              >>To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              >>Subject: [feline-heart] Vit E. question
              >>Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:17:15 -0400
              >>
              >>For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
              >>I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
              >>Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?
              >>
              >>Thanks!
              >>-Debra & Tigger

            • Anyes Moscrip
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                yarringt@... wrote:

                > For those of you who are giving Vitamin E to your cats, how much?
                > I just started giving Tigger 1 squeezed out capsule (200 IU's) of
                > Vitamin E every other day - is that too much?

                I was giving 100 per day, per the vet recommendation.

                Anyes
              • gea@alumni.duke.edu
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                  This is great; thanks, Voula.