Re: [FH] Any experience with potassium supplement and heart disease?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006
      Hi Jacky,

      In a message dated 11/3/06 11:42:55 PM, jacw10@... writes:

      > Can I hurt her giving the supplement??

      Potassium balance (well, all mineral balance) is very tricky...and *in
      general* tinkering with the potassium can be problematic.

      But in your case, with potassium that low, it needs supplementation...sooner
      rather than later. And it should be monitored rather closely.

      > Today she could hardly lift her head so I took
      > her to the vet. Her Potassium was down to 1.9 (3.5-5.8 normal
      > range).

      This is quite low. So you may want to talk with the vet about more than oral
      supplementation, if he thinks that's appropriate.

      > Also her bun is up to 112 (from 50 in July) and her crea.
      > is up to 4.5 (from 2.5 in July). Her HCT is 30, up from 18 in July
      > and she does not show anemia symptoms to the vet. Phos. is up to
      > 12.5 (it was high normal in July).

      The HCT is an improvement...but the BUN, creatinine, and phos. are really not
      good.

      How did the vet recommend treating this? What about subQ fluids?? What about
      a phosphorus binder?

      > She is home with RenaKare Gel (potassium gluconate) given and
      > instructions to give 1/2 teaspoon twice per day.

      How is she doing with the RenaKare gel? Some cats don't like it...and you can
      use OTC potassium gluconate tablets instead. But it would be really important
      to get potassium in her, so if she's not accepting the gel, I just wanted to
      mention that there are other options. (Post if you need more info.)

      > She is interested in food and water but can't seem to keep her head
      > up long enough to get much.

      It's great that she still has an appetite. Can you assist feed her...either
      by holding food out on your finger or bringing the dish to her mouth? Or with
      an oral syringe, as needed?

      > I can't help but
      > feel I probably caused this by feeding her Fancy Feast

      Fancy Feast is not the highest-quality food...but it's certainly not the
      worst, either. Kidneys can become impaired, no matter what's being fed. And you
      didn't cause the low potassium with the food. // Rosemary

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006
        Jacky,

        I don't have personal experience but it's good you had her checked out.
        She's weak due to her low potassium and really need to get it in her. I
        think if you don't, it could be dangerous. Keep assisting her eating and
        giving her the supplement. Please let us know how you make out.

        Sue