Re: Spironolactone HCTZ

  • Vickie
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
      Baby had HCTZ add to Lasic, spiro.

      He gets 1/4 a day.

      I didn't know if came in a mix.

      But the vet have me give the HCTZ and Spiro 12 hr apart

      As well Baby side were moving in and out more so too.

      The only problem is now, his BUN/CEA #'s went up in March, and went up more
      in Oct. ) :

      I sure don't want to have to deal w/high CEA #'s

      Vickie
      In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
        Sue,

        First, I am sorry to hear about Pepper's most recent misadventure, but am so happy that
        you caught the fluid build-up by your careful observation! I wonder whether or not I
        would notice that subtle change in breathing pattern that you have described a few times
        now!

        I have not used HCTZ, but understand that it is a thiazide diuretic. Thiazide diuretics
        effect the renal system differently than loop diuretics like furosemide (loop refers to the
        place where the drug has its effect - the "loop of Henle" which is part of the renal system).

        Loop diuretics effect the sodium/potassium transporters in the loop of Henle. Thiazide
        diuretics influence a sodium transporter in a different part of the renal system (the distal
        tubules). The thiazide diuretics generally have a longer lasting effect than loop diuretics,
        and some reports claim that they may be more helpful in treating generalized edema and
        lowering blood pressure than other diuretics (the edema part seems a bit controversial).
        Spironolactone, as you know, is an aldosterone antagonist with diuretic effects. It works
        somewhat differently than the others by acting as an aldosterone receptor blocker. Often,
        when one kind of diuretic is not enough to control fluid accumulation, another is added
        that works at a different site or via a different mechanism.

        Atrial fibrilliation, as you know, is an abnormal contraction of the atrium. It occurs when
        the electrical impusles that cause the atrial chamber of the heart to contract are not
        conducted properly. It can result in plueral effusion in addition to pulmonary edema. It
        can be either chronic or acute and although digoxin is usually contraindicated in HCM, it is
        sometimes added to the drug treatments when a cat has atrial fibrillation, often with a
        beta-blocker (but if I recall correctly Pepper did not do well on atenolol). I think the
        abnormal contraction of the left atria also increases the risk of clotting over LA
        enlargement alone.

        I hope some of this information is useful to you.
        Good luck with Pepper! I am glad she is not acting like she is sick.
        We are thinking of you!

        -Nala, Camille and Cozette

        spironolactone HCTZ

        atrial fibrulation.