Spironolactone HCTZ

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      Based on Pepper's recheck on Wednesday, her cardiologist has switched her from plain spironolactone to spironolactone HCTZ which is Spironolactone and Hydrochlorothiazide

      It's something that's taken once daily.

      The switch came because Pepper had fluid in her lungs. I noticed her sides were moving a bit more than normal so I took her in early for her 3-month checkup. In addition to the fluid, her heart has stretched out so much that she's developed an atrial fibrulation.

      As always, nobody told Pepper she's sick. She's enjoying everything.

      Does anyone have any experience with this drug or with this type of fibrulation?

      Sue

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hi Sue,

        Baby Boy was on Spiro-HCTZ, it was more effective than lasix-spiro alone. I
        didn't notice any difference in behavior or appetite when he switched. He
        also had a 'transient' AF, but never showed any outward signs i.e.
        discomfort or whatever. Like Pepper, no one told him he was sick.

        Lisa

      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
          Lisa,

          Thanks for your reply. She's still getting her lasix (60mg daily - 20mg TID). She has been a bit "off" and I saw more evidence of that last night. She got her first dose this morning so I hope it helps. The cardio still doesn't know how she's still going.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
            Baby had HCTZ add to Lasic, spiro.

            He gets 1/4 a day.

            I didn't know if came in a mix.

            But the vet have me give the HCTZ and Spiro 12 hr apart

            As well Baby side were moving in and out more so too.

            The only problem is now, his BUN/CEA #'s went up in March, and went up more
            in Oct. ) :

            I sure don't want to have to deal w/high CEA #'s

            Vickie
            In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
            Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!
          • nala_zq
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
              Sue,

              First, I am sorry to hear about Pepper's most recent misadventure, but am so happy that
              you caught the fluid build-up by your careful observation! I wonder whether or not I
              would notice that subtle change in breathing pattern that you have described a few times
              now!

              I have not used HCTZ, but understand that it is a thiazide diuretic. Thiazide diuretics
              effect the renal system differently than loop diuretics like furosemide (loop refers to the
              place where the drug has its effect - the "loop of Henle" which is part of the renal system).

              Loop diuretics effect the sodium/potassium transporters in the loop of Henle. Thiazide
              diuretics influence a sodium transporter in a different part of the renal system (the distal
              tubules). The thiazide diuretics generally have a longer lasting effect than loop diuretics,
              and some reports claim that they may be more helpful in treating generalized edema and
              lowering blood pressure than other diuretics (the edema part seems a bit controversial).
              Spironolactone, as you know, is an aldosterone antagonist with diuretic effects. It works
              somewhat differently than the others by acting as an aldosterone receptor blocker. Often,
              when one kind of diuretic is not enough to control fluid accumulation, another is added
              that works at a different site or via a different mechanism.

              Atrial fibrilliation, as you know, is an abnormal contraction of the atrium. It occurs when
              the electrical impusles that cause the atrial chamber of the heart to contract are not
              conducted properly. It can result in plueral effusion in addition to pulmonary edema. It
              can be either chronic or acute and although digoxin is usually contraindicated in HCM, it is
              sometimes added to the drug treatments when a cat has atrial fibrillation, often with a
              beta-blocker (but if I recall correctly Pepper did not do well on atenolol). I think the
              abnormal contraction of the left atria also increases the risk of clotting over LA
              enlargement alone.

              I hope some of this information is useful to you.
              Good luck with Pepper! I am glad she is not acting like she is sick.
              We are thinking of you!

              -Nala, Camille and Cozette

              spironolactone HCTZ

              atrial fibrulation.