Amira and Canned Food

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      Since the Princess is eating well again, I tried to give her a
      spoonful of canned food with a vitamin mixed into it. (She is on Nutro
      hard food, and she used to eat the Max Cat canned food as a kitten.)
      Well last night she wouldn't touch the Nutro canned food that I had
      gotten. She licked it once and walked away. I put it on her perch with
      her regular food. She wouldn't look at it. I put some on my finger,
      and she ate it off of my finger. I got her to do that about 5 times.
      Then she was done. I left the canned food there all night, and she
      wouldn't have anything to do with it. This morning as I was leaving
      for work, she pooped in her box. I didn't get a good look at it, but
      it looked a little soft. I think that that little bit of canned food
      upset her tummy a little bit.

      I am going to get the treats that you can hide a pill in this weekend
      and try those to give her her vitamin. Is there any other way to get
      her to eat it? I have tried breaking it up and putting it in her dish.
      It breaks into really small pieces, but she still eats around them. I
      would hate to have to break it and put it in a capsule and pop it down
      her throat, but she needs the vitamin! Ahh!!
    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hi Christina,

        My cat Cozette prefers hard food to wet. To get her to
        eat the wet food, I withold the dry food so that she
        is hungry. I have also found that many times when I
        switch food there is a bit of digestive upset (soft
        bowel movement)
        .
        When my kitties got mainly dry food I always did a
        slow switch over by mixing in 10-20% of the new food
        with 90% of the old food and then increased the new
        food every couple of days until it was entirely the
        new food.

        I have not been doing quite the same thing with the
        wet food, but when they get a new wet food they only
        get a little the first time ( a spoonful). I have
        also found that my cats are much pickier about their
        wet food than their dry food - so you might try a few
        varieties and a few different brands.

        I cannot usually get Cozette to eat any food that has
        been adulterated (except for tiny parts of pills in
        treats - for example when I had to add an extra tiny
        1/4 tab lasix to her day). For her daily meds, I put
        them all in one dose and wrap it in a bit of a soft
        treat (about 1/5 of a pill-pocket) so that it just
        covers the irregular edges and pop it down her throat.
        We follow it with a couple of her favorite treats.
        Most of the time it takes about 5 seconds total.
        Perhaps you can cut the vitamin into small enough
        pieces that you can just pill her with it? ( I realize
        that you didn't want to pill her, but it sounds like
        it might be hard to get her to eat it in her food).

        I hope this helps,

        Sincerely,

        Nala

        (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
      • adawson1971@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
          I recently converted a dry eater to wet. What I found out during the process is that he doesn't like the pate textured foods. Doesn't matter what brand or flavor. He won't eat it. Nor does he really like the "chunky" textured ones either. He prefers the, I guess you'd call it the shredded or sliced texture. So you might try a different texture.
          Also, my cat would take his meds in a teaspoon of yogurt. Have you tried baby food (without onion) or even a little tuna?

          --- Christina <fairy_rora@...> wrote:

          > Since the Princess is eating well again, I tried to
          > give her a
          > spoonful of canned food with a vitamin mixed into
          > it. (She is on Nutro
          > hard food, and she used to eat the Max Cat canned
          > food as a kitten.)
          > Well last night she wouldn't touch the Nutro canned
          > food that I had
          > gotten. She licked it once and walked away. I put it
          > on her perch with
          > her regular food. She wouldn't look at it. I put
          > some on my finger,
          > and she ate it off of my finger. I got her to do
          > that about 5 times.
          > Then she was done. I left the canned food there all
          > night, and she
          > wouldn't have anything to do with it. This morning
          > as I was leaving
          > for work, she pooped in her box. I didn't get a good
          > look at it, but
          > it looked a little soft. I think that that little
          > bit of canned food
          > upset her tummy a little bit.
          >
          > I am going to get the treats that you can hide a
          > pill in this weekend
          > and try those to give her her vitamin. Is there any
          > other way to get
          > her to eat it? I have tried breaking it up and
          > putting it in her dish.
          > It breaks into really small pieces, but she still
          > eats around them. I
          > would hate to have to break it and put it in a
          > capsule and pop it down
          > her throat, but she needs the vitamin! Ahh!!

        • pharosmommy
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
            Hi, I give Pharo his vitamins in baby food. I buy Beechnut lamb or
            veal. I break open the gel caps and mix it in with the baby food and a
            little water. He sucks it down every morning. I know when my little
            girl kitty wasn't eating her kitty food because of a tummy virus, she
            did eat the baby food. I also give Pharo his pills in Whisker Lickens
            soft treats. I break only little piece off...enough to cover the 1/4
            pill. I follow up with another treat right away and haven't had any
            problems. Pharo gets 3 whole lasix pills a day, 1/2 benazepril a day
            60mg of CoQ10, and 1/2 baby apirin every 3 days. So there is a lot of
            pills to take. I would never be able to do it if I had to pill him.
            Thank God he likes treats. Good Luck.
            Love,
            Andrea & Pharo